PDA

View Full Version : 70's Harpers ferry arms Manard

6thwivol
05-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Looking for info on a 70's Harper's ferry Manard. Stamped Harper's ferry, rear sight is on barrel. 141 is stamped on the barrel. Was purchased from Mark Corrigain in the 70's. Ignition has been redone & it locks up tight. Looking for value & parts. Not sure of the model. Thanks, Paul [/b]

Mike McDaniel
05-26-2009, 03:28 PM
All that I know is that Harper's Ferry did a run of about 500 2nd Model Maynards in the mid-'70s. IIRC, about 200 were assembled by the Corrigan brothers and sold. The rest hit the market about 10 years ago.

Quality on these was not that great. On the other hand, I paid $500 for one ten years ago - which was pretty cheap considering the price of a Romano. The question is, can these be fixed up? It would not surprise me if they could.

S.Sullivan
05-26-2009, 05:10 PM
A bit later Raider ANV should chime in, but use the search function to get more material on this, it has come up, sales and questions.
As I recall when the Corrigans first sold them there were some problems with the size of the chambers. They were fifty caliber, kind of, sort of. Some right spot on, others not so close. Once most brass was fire formed the problem went away.
PJ???
S.Sullivan

Edwin Flint, 8427
05-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Had one and didn't like it. Tried to use reduced capacity cases. Brass was fire formed but then had difficulty pulling it out of the chamber. Full sized cases would form to the chamber. Rifling was not consistent but was "wavy". Friend wanted the gun so sold it to him. Later, I traded it for him. He was happy to be rid of it.

Pat likes to get these and sell to re-enactors. They love them.

Parts: Team mate fussed about his. Said no parts available that didn't require major fitting work.

S Myers
05-26-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure about parts and such, but my father picked up a HF Maynard for a great price a few years back. He had Hoyt reline and rechamber (not sure of exact bore size) and the bugger is now a tack driver.

Sherry Myers

RaiderANV
05-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Errrrr,,,,,,,,OK Sir Edward I'll try to chimes in har :roll:

The "early" HF's BELONG in the rank and file of the reenactors!!! PERIOD!
Every one I use to see I'd buy it just to get it out of the N-SSA LOL! Really,,,,,to the tune of over 30 of them. Dang if'n one er two didn't make it back. Worse then ah FRIG'n bad penny they be.

That said, the ones before approx. serial number 150 I believe were total horse hockey. Then up to #298 as I've inspected them, weren't ah whole lot better. After that they seem to be better in metal work and fit to wood for the most part.

Yet,,,,they ALL belong in the hands of a reenactor. Green

I have worked on several for folks and got them to work and hit purdy good. Not gonna be A-team winning material UNLESS you flip the coin to have them relined AND re-chambered. Many ah fine GOD crafted( or his LICENSED agents) Maynard case has been ruined in these HF's (notice I say HF's instead of Maynard fer fear GOD shall Smite Thy humble servant!!).

With what you'll pay fer it and the cost of fixin' it yer best off buying it cheap then sellin' it over here===>http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

and make ah lil profit! :wink:

AND BEFORE YOU REENACTORS START THAT DANG CHAIN MAIL AGAINST ME AGAIN :? ,,,,,This info is only intended to explain why the HF DOESN'T really belong in the N-SSA and ya'll only need it to look right and go bang. For this it works jus' fine. Geez

As fer parts original to the HF's, I think Lodgewood at 262-473-544 has a few. I heard John Dewalt got the load of what was left from whoever had them?

If you say it's been worked on you might try shootin' it to see if it's been somewhat fixed. Then make up yer mind if it's worth keepin'. <snicker>

OK,,,,the above stated serial numbers is my own research over the last 30 years playin' with these toys and as best I've been able to figure out from that which I've seen and is ONLY MY OPINION!!

Lookin' over me shoulder ta see if'n any lawyers be tailin' me now :shock:

Claude Carr, 00366V
05-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Now Radier,
Not all the HF were junk. Some did need a bit more tweaking than others, but with a litttle patience and a bit of work you could get them to shoot. I have medals to prove it, and so does my brother in law. we did have to have the breech resleved so the tubes fit right. and osme adjustments to the internals of the trigger and in some cases the wood had to be fitted better. But over all I could make them shoot and for what they cost at the time it wasnt a bad deal for a person trying to shoot carbine with a breech loader he didnt have to mortage the house for.
As they say don,t shoot the messanger just trying to make the point that sometimes money makes you buy what you can afford at the time!

Claude Carr
ODD :D