PDA

View Full Version : Smith Carbine

ArcticWolf
02-13-2014, 03:45 PM
Hi Folk`s, First time posting, been reading and learning from this forum for some time ( Thank You). I have a Smith Carbine I`m interested in selling. It`s an American Machine Works, serial #2539. The stock is cracked at the receiver, some of the screws were molested, and 1 screw missing on lower tang. Bore has minimal pitting in 2 spots: 1.5" in from end of barrel, and 2.5" from breech forward. Rest of bore is bright and shiney, and rifling is quite good. Barrel, trigger guard, and butt plate have a light brown patina evenly, without excessive wear. Saddle ring bar has some pitting. Sights are in very good condition. Receiver and top breech latch have some blueing. I`ve had it for 50 years and it`s been in the family since at least 1915. I was given what I thought a LOW offer at a local shop ($600). I can E-mail photo`s if interested. I tend to grade on the harsh side it`s really not that bad. I`m located in northern Illinois and Far north central Wisconsin.

Marty Noe

jonk
02-16-2014, 09:24 AM
Welcome! While I'm not interested in the gun, I agree the $600 was a bit low. I see real beaters sell for this, so long as they can be restored. Yours sounds a tad better, though with the buggered screws, missing part, and cracked stock it certainly isn't pristine. But a picture is worth a thousand words.

Remember a gun shop has to re-sell. They will offer between 50-75% of value so they can make their profit, in my experience.

My suggestion would be to put a number on what you are looking for, and my wager would be that the gun is worth something in the $800-$1000 range, from what you say. The remaining metal finish is a plus.

ArcticWolf
02-17-2014, 12:49 AM
Thank You,
As always seen here, good advise and helpful members. I did some homework, your figures are right on the money. Had an offer yesterday from a fella (gunsmith) who I`ve seen at Midwest gun shows. This fella puts parts from multiple guns together to achieve a quality piece. Gets ALOT $$ when done. I do know it was acquired in Kentucky (Todd Co.) Elkton I believe. Anyway, after sending 42 photos I got an offer of $850 from this fella. It wasn`t the money, knowing what was to be done to it. I would like to think it will be put back on the battle field. Used in skirmishes, kinda like going home.