PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a musket stock

B-Davis
02-08-2014, 06:41 PM
I recently purchased an original model 1861 rifle. It is in ROUGH shape, but got it for CHEAP! I got it mainly for parts. The main thing I wanted is the stock.
It has the usual dents, dings, and scratches on the stock,it is structurally sound, but there is one BIG problem! Somebody spray painted it black. I have to strip and restrain and protect the wood.
So, I am looking for suggestions from those of you who have done this before. What is the best way to strip/clean the wood? Any products work better than others? Any special concerns?
What are you using to refinish an original stock?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Bryan Davis

ian45662
02-08-2014, 08:56 PM
It begs the question. Why would anyone spray paint an original stock!! Black??? WHY>!?!?!

jonk
02-09-2014, 09:34 AM
I would heat it with a heat gun to get the paint bubbly and take a medium coarse steel wool to it first; then the stripper of your choice to finish the job, followed by a suitable stain (black walnut for instance). Same way I would refinish anything really. Then several coats of rubbed in linseed oil, and call it a day.

Whether you need to sand or not depends on how deep the paint goes.

B-Davis
02-09-2014, 10:21 AM
I am going to use a two part homemade stain. The first part is just crushed black walnut shells soaked in water. I brush on the water. The second part being vinegar and steel wool that has been soaking for about one month. It gives a very nice color for the stocks. I agree with the linseed oil. I will apply about 4 or 5 coats for a finished product.
I also had read that you can put a couple drops of water and put it into nicks and scratches. Then put a wet wash cloth on top of the area and heat it with an iron. Supposedly this will eliminate the scratch or nick. I wonder if this really works...

Steve Weems
02-09-2014, 10:53 AM
I am going to use a two part homemade stain. The first part is just crushed black walnut shells soaked in water. I brush on the water. The second part being vinegar and steel wool that has been soaking for about one month. It gives a very nice color for the stocks. I agree with the linseed oil. I will apply about 4 or 5 coats for a finished product.
I also had read that you can put a couple drops of water and put it into nicks and scratches. Then put a wet wash cloth on top of the area and heat it with an iron. Supposedly this will eliminate the scratch or nick. I wonder if this really works...

This is an old and tried method of raising dents and scratches. make sure the cloth is thick enough by folding over and keep it wet wet.
Go slow and examine the wood as you repeat the hot iron application to the wet cloth. You will see steam come off as you apply the iron.
Don't let the cloth dry out. Good Luck.

Maillemaker
02-09-2014, 11:14 AM
I stripped my Euroarms P53 stock as it was coated in polyurethane from the factory.

I used some commercial paint stripper from Home Depot. It took about 5-10 goes with the stripper to get it off. I made up a stain using Feibings leather dye and paint thinner. If you go search on the Authentic Campainger forum you will find instructions for "defarbing" an Enfield stock.

I would imagine that the spray paint will come off with much less effort. The question is what will you find underneath?

There are lots of YouTube videos on stripping and steaming out dents in stocks also.

Steve