PDA

View Full Version : C.S. Richmond .69 Cal. Smoothbore Cavalry Carbine

MR. GADGET
02-06-2014, 12:06 PM
I seen in some notes that they were voting on this gun for the rules in the N-SSA.....

Has this just slip by me, what one is this and does that say there is someone making a repop of it?

What are specs? Is this just the SB Richmond carbine 24" ? or being a Cavalry Carbine different?
And why the vote, maybe someone is now starting to make more then just the standard 1842.

I see DP is making the Richmond Carbine in 58 cal and that is good to go so to say, maybe they are turning out more SB's...

John Holland
02-06-2014, 02:42 PM
Jon,

The Richmond altered M-1842 smoothbore carbine you are asking about is essentially the same as the one previously produced by James River Armory, with a couple of minor variations. You can find this arm shown in Paul Davies book, "CS Armory Richmond".

The arm was submitted by Mr. John G. Zimmerman. He is making it from miscellaneous odd lot original, and some reproduction parts, such as are found on Sutler's Row, etc. The Board of Directors gave Mr. Zimmerman's submittal "Production Approval" status at the January 2014 Board meeting. This means you can purchase the arm from Mr. Zimmerman and use in the N-SSA's competitive matches without having to get it approved by the SAC.

You mentioned in your post that DP is producing Richmond Carbines in .58 caliber. I have not heard of them doing that, so I checked their website and there is no Richmond carbine listed.

JDH

MR. GADGET
02-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Check that, I screwed up.....
It is Armi Sport Chiappa Firearms
http://chiappafirearms.com/product/2097

I was talking about it with someone and just got crossed up.

John Holland
02-07-2014, 07:59 AM
The ArmiSport Richmond Carbine is not N-SSA approved.

It has an incorrect front sight and, as I recall, the location may be out of spec for our purposes.

JDH