PDA

View Full Version : Cabin fever and laser trainers

lkmcd1
02-05-2014, 08:49 AM
It is cold in Michigan and cabin fever is setting in. As a way to keep my sanity, I became intrigued with the Laserlyte training system which is basically a cartridge size laser that is loaded into the chamber and is only "pulsed" when the gun is dry-fired. The target is a light sensitive contraption that lights up a small dot where the laser hits the target. It costs over $200 for the works which seems like a hefty markup to me. So that said, here is an alternative way to do the same thing, but for sure is not as slick. I think it works pretty good and has exposed my shortcomings such as holding the gun steady as the trigger is pulled plus inconsistencies in aiming. So now I can practice indoors until the snow and cold are gone, probably in 6 months at the current rate!

This is how I do it:
Buy a cheap laser and stuff it securely in the muzzle. I used a $16 9mm pistol Laser Cartridge Bore Sighter / Laser Bore Sight from ebay. With tape and a rubber shroud (.44 cartridge tube) it fits fine in by Enfield. With just tape it fits my 1860 Colt.

Align the laser in the barrel so that the laser shows up somewhere on the target, but someplace other than the point of aim. The laser is not used to aim, it only is used to record a position on the target when the gun is "dry-fired" that is compared for each shot. If the laser dots are in a tight group, that would approximate an actual group size in theory, all things being equal. My target is about 10 yards away from the gun, so the group size at 50 yards is 5x bigger than what I measure in my basement.

When the laser is in positioned, I then take movie with my Android phone at max zoom as I shoot at the target. Phone is located a few feet away from me so the audio can pick up the hammer sound when it hits the nipple (protected by hard rubber).

I take 10 shots or so and then stop the recording.

The movie is then transferred to my computer and loaded into a free movie editor called Videopad Video editor.
Any editor that shows both sound and audio synchronized should work.

I then position the cursor on the audio spike which is easy to see and then take a screenshot. second photo - yes it is sideways

I quickly run each screenshot through a photo viewer and can easily record the location of the laser dot. first photo

Larry