PDA

View Full Version : Spence Jamming Question

Bayreuth
02-04-2014, 09:41 AM
I have a Spencer jamming question. I have a ’65 Spencer I recently put thecenter fire block into and am trying to get worked up to shoot. I haveseveral pieces of brass with bullet but without power or primer to test theaction. The bullet is the Rapine 320Spencer and it is seated to COL 1.65. IfI place one round in the magazine, it cycles well. It I place 2 or more it, it gives a hardjam. It looks as if the 2ndround is advancing and hitting the lower block. There is a indentation in the 2nd bullet the looks like it is comingfrom the spine on the lower block.
Any ideas on what is causing this or what can be done to fixit?
Thanks,
Paul

Eggman
02-04-2014, 12:09 PM
A common problem. The original Spencer bullets were pointed while our are blunt - the pointed bullets facilitated feeding. The top front edge of the upper breech block is digging into the nose of the next round. Common solutions are rounding the front edge of the upper breech block so it doesn't dig in so much; make sure the whole bullet is well lubricated to help the breech block slide off it; try a lighter magazine spring so the following round isn't pushed forward so hard; point the barrel upward when cycling - this shifts the weight of the rounds in the magazine toward the rear away from the breech block. I've done all these but still only load four rounds at a time.

Ibgreen
02-04-2014, 12:42 PM
My 1868NM likes over all lengths of 1.6 for what it's worth. Supposedly Spencer's were designed to cycle even without the mag spring tube. In an emergency, you could put a stopper in the hole and load while pointing the gun down. If you can load that way, then your spring may be the issue.