PDA

View Full Version : Enfield sear and tumbler

rkaires
01-30-2014, 05:32 AM
Hi Guys,

I’ve been looking for a sear and tumbler for one of my Enfields. The previous owner of my PH P58 modified the sear and tumbler I assume to lighten the trigger pull. In changing the geometry of the parts he had to file down the half cock notch so it wouldn’t catch when pulling the trigger. The problem is you could pull the trigger on half cock and it will drop the hammer. I used the sear and tumbler from my Euroarms musketoon and it works perfectly without modification. The trigger pull is actually better now than with the modified parts. I’d like to replace the parts I used from my musketoon. I know Euroarms and 2nd gen Parker Hale lock parts are interchangeable based on my experience.

I tried most of the usual sources, Lodgewood, Blockade Runner, S&S and Winchester Sutler. No luck so far. If any of you guys know where I could acquire these parts it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Bob

Ron/The Old Reb
01-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Try Dixie Gun Works or The Gator Den.

rkaires
01-30-2014, 10:06 AM
Hi Ron,

I tried Dixie this morning. No luck. I'll check into The Gator Den. Thanks. Seems since Euro closed these parts are hard to come by. I wonder, since Pedersoli took over Euro's equipment their lock parts will interchange.

Regards,
Bob

Maillemaker
01-30-2014, 12:54 PM
I own a Pedersoli P58. At least some of the lock internals are left-overs from Euroarms. The bridle still has P-H in the casting.

Steve

rkaires
01-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Steve,

I seen that in one of your posts. I'm hoping the sear and tumblers are the the same. The only problem is I don't see any distributors in the US to buy parts from.

Regards,
Bob

bobanderson
01-31-2014, 07:07 AM
The problem is you could pull the trigger on half cock and it will drop the hammer.

One question. How hard do you have to pull the trigger to drop the hammer? Unless I'm wrong, which happens a LOT more often lately, all the half cock notch has to do is hold the weight of the firearm.

Seems it would be easier to use your parts.

dennis g
01-31-2014, 07:31 AM
Try vtigunparts.com.

rkaires
01-31-2014, 08:16 AM
One question. How hard do you have to pull the trigger to drop the hammer? Unless I'm wrong, which happens a LOT more often lately, all the half cock notch has to do is hold the weight of the firearm.

Seems it would be easier to use your parts.

Hi Bob,

I see what your saying. It does take some pulling to make the hammer drop. The other problem it the hammer doesn't come back to full cock as far as it should. There is a lot of play between the trigger and sear. This is because of all the filing done to try and improve the trigger pull.

Regards,
Bob

rkaires
01-31-2014, 08:22 AM
Try vtigunparts.com.

I'll check them out.

Thanks!

Ron/The Old Reb
02-01-2014, 07:51 AM
"the hammer doesn't come back to full cock as far as it should"

Sounds like the sear is to short. Probably from filing it down to much.

rkaires
02-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Ron,

Your right. Both hammer and sear have been filed. The hammer comes to full cock about 1/8" short compared to my other Enfields.

Regards,
Bob

Ron/The Old Reb
02-02-2014, 03:07 PM
rkaires
Found a place that list Euroarms Enfield sears and tumblers. The only problem is it's in Australia.
Green River Rifle Works
http://users.picknowl.com.au/~vaisham/catalogue/LOCKS%20PARTS.htm

Here is the home page
http://users.picknowl.com.au/~vaisham/

rkaires
02-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Ron,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give them a call regarding shipping to the US.

Regards,
Bob

rkaires
02-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Try vtigunparts.com.

FYI,

I contacted VTI (vtigunparts.com) and they have the parts in stock. There the new Pedersoli Enfield parts and according to VTI they are the same as Euroarms and 2nd gen Parker Hale. I have a tumbler, sear and stirrup ordered. The parts are a little pricy but at least you could still get them when needed. I'll post an update when I have them in hand to verify they are the same.

Regards,
Bob

Dave Fox
02-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Apparently too late (a life-long habit), I'd suggest the possibility of a good gunsmith specializing in muzzleloaders repairing the original parts.

rkaires
02-04-2014, 04:20 AM
Apparently too late (a life-long habit), I'd suggest the possibility of a good gunsmith specializing in muzzleloaders repairing the original parts.

Hi Dave,

The problem is too much metal was removed from the sear and tumbler. Unless welding and reshaping the parts were done.

Regards,
Bob

rkaires
02-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Hi all,

I revived the parts today from VTI. Everything fit and worked perfectly. The new Pedersoli Enfield parts do fit Euroarms and 2nd gen Parker Hale locks.

Regards,
Bob