PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Enfield bolster

Brett Bondurant
01-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Hi,

New to the Forum.
I'm asking a question for a friend. He's got a reproduction Enfield that has a stripped bolster. Any suggestions on how to fix this so it's shootable again?

Thanks,

Brett Bondurant

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
01-24-2014, 04:12 PM
If you are talking about the threads for the nipple it can be repaired by the installation of a helicoil. Any good gunsmith or machinist should be able to fix it.

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

Brett Bondurant
01-25-2014, 04:40 PM
If you are talking about the threads for the nipple it can be repaired by the installation of a helicoil. Any good gunsmith or machinist should be able to fix it.

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

Thanks for the information. I'll pass it on.

Brett Bondurant

Ron/The Old Reb
01-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Dixie Gun Works sells a tool that will cut new threads in the bolster.

Brett Bondurant
01-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Dixie Gun Works sells a tool that will cut new threads in the bolster.

I just did a search on the Dixie site and couldn't find anything. Would you know what's it's called?

Thanks,

Brett Bondurant

Ron/The Old Reb
01-28-2014, 08:50 AM
Sorry it has been awhile since I saw it on Dixie's web site. I do not recall what they called it. But I could not fine it ether nor could I fine it in their 2012 catalog. I do recall that it was used for musket that nipples were no longer available and would change the threads to 15/16x24. I did fine a post on Gunboards from someone that has the same problem maybe this will help. Good luck.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?215144-re-thread-tap-bolster-on-a-M1853-Enfield-musket

Something else that might work that I have done on threads that are stripe. Fine out what for threads the nipple are and go to a hardware store like Ace or Lows. See if you can buy a harden bolt the same size and run it in the bolster and dress up the threads.

Brett Bondurant
01-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Sorry it has been awhile since I saw it on Dixie's web site. I do not recall what they called it. But I could not fine it ether nor could I fine it in their 2012 catalog. I do recall that it was used for musket that nipples were no longer available and would change the threads to 15/16x24. I did fine a post on Gunboards from someone that has the same problem maybe this will help. Good luck.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?215144-re-thread-tap-bolster-on-a-M1853-Enfield-musket

Something else that might work that I have done on threads that are stripe. Fine out what for threads the nipple are and go to a hardware store like Ace or Lows. See if you can buy a harden bolt the same size and run it in the bolster and dress up the threads.

Thanks for the info.!

Brett Bondurant

geezmo
01-29-2014, 05:18 PM
I once had an original Enfield barrel with boogered threads. If memory serves me right Enfields were tapped 5/16-18. I was able to retap it to 5/16-24 and put in a Springfield nipple. If it's real bad, Dan Whitacre sells an oversize nipple, 3/8-24, that might work.
Good luck,
Barry