PDA

View Full Version : Question for Maynard Model One owners.

Steve Weems
01-23-2014, 02:11 PM
The buttstock on the Model One being a crescent shape quite different than the Model Two's how does
this afrect the comfort when shooting? I've shot the Model Two but the longer barrel and tang peep sight
are interesting.

Rich Foster
01-23-2014, 06:09 PM
The Model 1 Maynard butt plate with the curved buttstock is supposed to be seat high in the bicep. I have a natural instinct to shoulder it as any long gun but the curve does not bother my shoulder as much as say the henry rifle which I have to put a towel under my shirt in my shoulder. Rich

RangerFrog
01-23-2014, 08:30 PM
I shoot a Romano copy of the Maynard First Model and I find the slight curve of the butt plate fits into my shoulder as though they were made for each other. Of course I've been shooting crescent butt stocked guns for a long time, so I may not be typical, but I find my carbine extremely comfortable to shoot with that curved butt plate... your mileage may vary!

Froggie

Rob FreemanWBR
01-24-2014, 11:06 AM
Steve,The butt of the M1 is "unique", for me it's FAR from a good match between the piece and my shoulder - was never a show stopper or serious distraction - just something I've learned to accept when using this particular arm.However, using a good load, the M1 is a comfortable piece to compete with - and you can't complain about it's sight radius!Have competed with both the M1 and M2, I prefer my M1 hands down over the M2 (both originals w/repo barrels).Hope this helps!

RaiderANV
01-24-2014, 10:39 PM
I reckon given back in the day guys were a lot small seeing the average height was 5'4" back then. The radius of the crescent fit them a lil better then they do us these days. I've never had a problem and found it comfortable shooting any original Model 1