PDA

View Full Version : Getting the best out of my J.P. Murray Zoli built replica

Ecclectic Collector
01-21-2014, 06:16 PM
Hi folks:

I'm new here and in the process of getting stuff to join a team. I recently bought a nice used J.P.Murray Carbine after finding out it was on the approved list and seeing a nice one at a good price.

Anyway, I've been having fits making it shoot straight. I originally started using a musket load with a traditional LEE Minie that works just fine on my Euroarms Mississippi and Dixie 63 Springfield. However the carbine did not like them one bit.

I had a few 315gr Lyman and 405gr Lyman bullets and dropped my charge to 30 grains of Goex 2F using Bore Butter as a lube. It turned out I didn't have enough of the Blue/Grey 405 gr bullet to do more than hit the target, but I was getting on the paper with my other bullet.

Any suggestions on dialing it in further? I'd like to save on the frustration and find out what others have found works for them with this particular gun. I'm partial to the Lyman 315 gr Minie, but if something works better I'd love to know about it.

Thanks for any help.

D.

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
01-21-2014, 07:01 PM
First welcome aboard !! Glad to see you have started on the adventure called skirmishing !

I would start with 40 grains of 3f [by weight] and see how that does.

Also make sure the bullet is no more than two thousandths under bore size.

Phil

Scott Harris
01-21-2014, 07:28 PM
I agree with Phil that you probably need more powder. Mine does very well with 43 gr of 3f Goex with a hodgdon minie sized two thousands under bore. While the longer barreled muskets may be ok with 2f I have always used 3f in shorter barreled carbines. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Timmeu
01-21-2014, 08:33 PM
HI

I have two of these little gems and I have had good luck with a Lee .578 improved minie. 42 grs of 3f Goex. I have lubed them with MCM and they really do great. I really like shooting them but have also fallen in love with an relined original Maynard that is a better shot than I am.

In fact the little devils really roar and people will notice you are on the line. Enjoy!

Marty

Fred Jr
01-21-2014, 10:43 PM
Sound advice. Don't forget pure soft lead!

Fred

R WAINWRIGHT
01-22-2014, 06:31 AM
I knew a couple of teammates that shot Murrays for quite some time I believe they used the Lyman 575-213 newer style 505gr minis with 40 to 45 gr 3f

Michael Bodner
01-22-2014, 12:36 PM
BTW: The reason you want to put more powder is to ensure that the base of the bullet expands enough to make it engage the rifling. Once it does that, it will spin and therefore flight truer.

Good luck!

Ecclectic Collector
01-22-2014, 01:52 PM
Thanks all of you for the advice,

I'd originally shot the gun using a 60 gr charge of 2F under a LEE traditional Minie (.575 diam). To say the groups were bad is like saying a scatter gun spreads over distance. The one or two that I could find on paper were key holing.

An old NSSA shooter friend named Whit told me to reduce my charge drastically. I had only a limited number of lighter bullets. I was able to shoot it enough to get on paper and could see that my holes were round, but the sights on the JP are very simple. I guess I'll switch to 3F and raise my charge up to 40 grains to see how things go.

I will make very sure to only use pure lead. I'm already a long time shooter of black powder cartridge guns. I'd eventually like to get a breechloader. I'm partial to the Spencer and Sharps & Hankins, but they are pricey and I plan on shooting the JP until I learn more and can afford to upgrade.

Lou Lou Lou
01-22-2014, 03:10 PM
You need to pick a bullet and work it up. Get it sized correctly, then experiment with powder charges from 35 to 50 grains in 5 grain increments. then take the best group and try 2-3 grains on either side of that charge. That should get you started

Joe Plakis, 9575V
01-22-2014, 10:49 PM
Multiple Questions on this one:
#1 Where in PA do you live, the reason I ask is that I live in Montgomery County and if you live close, it will be easier for me to help you out in person.
#2 Have you ever found out what your bore diameter is?
- The Reason I ask is that the barrel might be stamped one thing and not be that diameter.
- .002 under bore size is a good place to start for a bullet size
#3 Where are you getting the bullets from?
- Are they soft lead? Can you scratch the bullets with your fingernail? Can you crush the skirt with your fingers?
- If you are casting make sure the lead is soft.

If you are local let me know. I have bore gauges that I can measure the barrel if you are close.

Anything I can do to help email me at JosephPlakis @ Comcast .net