PDA

View Full Version : New cmp range in alabama

Southron Sr.
01-20-2014, 07:47 AM
Check this out. I have a feeling that some Whitworth & Kerr Rifle mid-range matches could be held at this new facility is the proper authorities were asked:

http://www.odcmp.org/0114/default.asp?page=TALLADEGA

Maillemaker
01-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Hey, this is neat!

This might be an alternative range to Briarfield. I like the Briarfield sight with its campground but it does not have a full 100 yard range. And the new CMP range is closer to Atlanta for the Georgia folks.

Steve

R. McAuley 3014V
06-01-2014, 02:46 AM
Spoke a short time back with a gunsmith who is about to open a 1,000 yard range in the Swainsboro-Millen area, convenient to I-16 in east central Georgia. I'm certainly interested in doing some long range work with both my M1A and M1 Garand, and may even try out this 26-bore Whitworth. Back when I shot for the Army in the mid-1980s, my coach CWO Billy Atkins (then All Army Reserve team coach) sighted me in with my M1A at 1,000 yards on the sniper range at Fort Benning after just three rounds, and that was with 168-grain Sierras. At that time, All Army team shot 190-grain bullets from the team's M14s in preparation for the Palma matches.

Maillemaker
06-01-2014, 09:15 PM
By the way, I got in touch with the folks in charge of this new range (it has yet to open last I heard) and they said they would be willing to work with the N-SSA to hold matches there.

Steve