PDA

View Full Version : Wanted!! Leather gear for four people!

RaiderANV
01-09-2014, 01:14 AM
This is sorta a reverse fire sale.

Needing four sets of leather gear, carbine box, cap box and belt. Reb buckle preferred but we can turn ah US one upside down. Please no offers of $400 sets for a bargain price of $150. We just don't have that kinda cash now. Would have to be cheap and we can work with any kind of condition as we'll repair if needed. Thanks in advance! Pat

Long story short we had a fire at the historic 1807 Western View Farm I lease in Delaplane, Virginny where Gen. Ashby Turner's horse, Telegraph? was bred and pictures with Mosby on the front porch before and after the war.
Anyway,,,,,it was really bad, caused by a faulty woodstove fluepipe and started in the wall where it traveled fast through walls and floor since they didn't fire block back then. Most everything for N-SSA was in storage in another building except the guns, uniforms and leather gear. We got the entire gun collection out YES the Maynards are safe or I'd not be here! Uniforms being cleaned of smoke damage. The leather gear didn't survive as they were to far into the burning parts. Lost my mustache and a lot of hair as it was. =) Me and my kids all made it through with only one getting hands burned really bad. The few guns that we couldn't get to survived in the safes in a part that didn't burned to bad. Always wondered how "fireproof" they really were and now I know!
And yes everything else we owned is gone for the most part. Sifting begins tomorrow thru the ruble and the remaining part of house salvaging what we can. Firemen from 11 stations from up to 60 miles away responded. Temp was -1 and -27 degrees with the wind chill from a steady wind blowing!! None of the guys had ever fought a fire in those conditions they said. Looked like pictures from Chicago, they were covered with upwards of an inch of ice from head to toe on some of them. 37 trucks and near 60 guys they said. They asked about firearms or explosives and I said we got the guns out and some ammo but 25lbs of black powder and tens of thousands of rounds of ammo still inside. First thing they went for was removing the powder then soaking the ammo room.
It's hard to describe how hard it is to fight a fire in the cold. I help with the hoses inside until it was to much for me and soaking wet. By that time enough crews had shown up. They had to run hoses the 1/2 mile driveway from temporary swimming pools they set up. A bunch of trucks were getting water from the river down the road I think and keeping the pools filled. Several hoses froze solid. There are still dozens of hoses out in the field and driveway they could roll up from being frozen. These guys were all truly professional!!! I told them if I'd of known they were coming I'd have had hot chocolate for them!

I'd suggest EVERYONE hug on whoever is important to you in life after reading this as you never know when the Lord will call you home! Wasn't our time,,,,someone had to save the Maynards!

We'll be at the Snowball shooting artillery on Friday only until I can find a place for us to live and get set up again. Thanks to everyone that's already heard and called,,,,,we're OK! =)

ian45662
01-09-2014, 02:32 AM
Check your pm

PETER HUGHES
01-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Heart wrenching story. My thoughts and prayers are with you and you family. Best of luck rebuilding your home.

Pete Hughes / 2029v 120th NYVI

Eggman
01-09-2014, 12:15 PM
YEEGADS Pat!!!!!!!! Glad yer all OK.
I have an Enfield cap box I got a number of years ago never been used on the line you can have fer nothin. PM your address.

Maillemaker
01-09-2014, 01:21 PM
I've found S&S to have some nice, affordable gear. Hopefully your insurance will help cover the cost of your losses.

58 Caliber Cartridge Box, $58
http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=L8

Cap box, $20
http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=L9

Belt, $20 for 48"+, $18 otherwise.
http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=L4

CS buckle, $9
http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BB24

Total: $107 per set, or $429 for 4 sets.

Steve

Maillemaker
01-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Here are some more good prices on leather gear:

http://www.mountainstatesupply.com/civil-war-reproductions/cartridge-boxes-pouches-39.html

Steve

thirdwinchester
01-09-2014, 04:22 PM
it will work for you for a while. I can bring it to the snowball or give it to one of your teammates.

geezmo
01-09-2014, 06:50 PM
Pat,
Sorry to hear about your loss. Thank God everyone made it through. I pray the burns aren't so severe and heal quickly. If you don't mind Yankee stuff, I have a few pieces you can have. PM on the way with particulars, and to get an address to mail the stuff to.
Best of luck,
Barry

Jim Mulligan 7288V
01-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Pat,

Please forward your shipping address and I'll send a set of musket leathers. Glad you were able to save the Maynards.
Kindest Regards,
Jim

Scott Harris
01-10-2014, 07:10 PM
PJ, I don't have any to sell but I almost always have a "loner" set with me. Normally I would say no maynard ammo but under the circumstances I guess I could overlook that rule. Scott

RaiderANV
01-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Thanks Scott and no worries,,,,,,,we've been sifting through it all and I found Maynard brass but in it's origins configuration after the earth cools Julio's of years ago. Maynards are safe but ammo make it. ={

It think I have all the leather gear covered. The number of folks sending PMs, emails andcalling is overwhelming. We have enough gear to get us on the line again. Would hate not shooting with my kids, My daughter will start early spring and be handing me and the boys our butts the way she shoots. Guess I'll have to practice some!

THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE that helped. I'd like to list the names but a few need not to.....hoping they're not closet Starr worshipers :rolleyes: