PDA

View Full Version : 44-40 Henry Bullet

Michael Bodner
01-02-2014, 01:37 PM
OK - What type of mold are you using to cast your 44-40 Henry bullets that gives good results and low fouling (size, type and maker)?

Thanks!

-Mike

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
01-02-2014, 04:37 PM
RCBS 240 sil mold Sized 429 24gr 3f goex works in our 4 Henrys. We use 80/20 Track lube, bees wax .
Hope this helps Wayne Shaw Harlans Light Cav TDYT

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
01-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Here are the notes from my experiments from before I had my barrel relined and slowed down the twist. http://acwsa.org/images/MiscImages/44-40%20Groups.jpg

On the bottom of the notes are a few different shooters I polled, and what loads they used.

The most accurate and cleanest bullet I found was the Mav Dutchman bullet (see http://www.biglube.com/AboutDick.aspx) sized to .429 with Swiss FFFg. I think I was shooting about 31 grains. Your results may vary.

I deduced that you really need to avoid partially compressing your powder. My theory is that if you start compressing, you start losing accuracy, and it won't come back completely until the load is completely compressed. When you start compressing, the powder right beneath the bullet gets crushed into a solid pellet, and the powder near the primer stays loose. That must vary the burn characteristics, but I'm no expert. External ballistics are hard enough, when you start talking internal ballistics, it sounds a lot like Voodoo to me.

efritz
01-03-2014, 10:36 AM
I second Garys' motion on the Mav Dutchman. Same size, (I do use corm meal filler, ((forget how much)) and about 28gr. 3f Swiss. Helped me get my D-SSA with repeater.

Rob FreemanWBR
01-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Five years ago Mike Owziak produced a beautiful two cavity mold for the 44-40 (230 gr bullets) which casts VERY well. That's all I've ever used in my Henry and have been extremely pleased. Not sure if he still makes that particular mold, or has any in stock for sale, but if you do get one - you won't be disappointed.

matt
01-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Mav Dutchman sized to .429 over 30 gr 3f. Lube is homemade bore butter, crisco and beeswax. This is the only bullet I found to carry enough lube to shoot a prolonged string with out the fouling getting hard.
Matt