PDA

View Full Version : Got to thinking about powder charges

jonk
12-30-2013, 02:06 PM
So conventional wisdom for a minie says use 60-80 gr of 2f. While most skirmishers find they have good results with 35-50 gr of 3f, with most somewhere right around 40 give or take. Which makes some sense; it takes more of the slower heavier grained powder to obdurate the skirt, and less of the faster smaller grain stuff to do the same.

So I wonder what would happen if one were to use, say, 20 gr of 4F? I have occasionally tried light charges of 4F in my revolver with no issues. Anyone ever try it?

Maillemaker
12-30-2013, 03:30 PM
I only use about 48 grains of 2F in my 3-band Enfield.

I have heard that you can reduce 3F by about 15%, if I remember right, to get the same performance as 2F.

The thing to do would be to shoot over a chronograph to determine equivalent loads.

Steve

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
12-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Sounds like a REALLY effective to blow up your musket. Please let me know when you try it so I can be elswhere.

ChrisWBR
12-30-2013, 09:04 PM
I would strongly suggest not using 4F. Recently had a case where a fellow skirmisher was using 4F in their Smoothbore and had for a few years. Then it started hang firing. Turned out the 4F had burned the nipple channel wider affecting the ignition. You will also get higher pressures with 4F. Stick to 2F or 3F and avoid a lot of problems.