PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 1861 differences?

SteveG
12-19-2013, 06:06 PM
If you'd be so kind as to assist me in the differences (big or small) of the ArmiSport 1861 Springfield musket and the Pedersoli 1861 Springfield musket. They appear to be identical in fit and finish (though I could be way off in this assumption). If anyone here has experience in one or both of these repro muskets and could offer some information as to the similarities/ differences of both (reliability, firing, etc) it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
regards
SteveG

Hickok
12-20-2013, 08:34 AM
I can't comment on the Pedersoli, but I once owned the ArmiSport Springfield and it was a fine rifle, well made and accurate. I just can see and shoot the sights on an Enfield better is the only reason I sold it. Alot of shooters replace the rear sight blade on the Springfield with a peep, and this would definately help my eyes when shooting this rifle.

OregonBill
12-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Steve, Craig Barry has a chapter on the various Italian 1861s, their strengths and their many weaknesses in his book "The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy -- Lock, Stock and Barrel." I highly recommend this book when considering any of the repops!

Lou Lou Lou
12-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Some folks find them heavy as compared to original or "custom' built guns from original parts. If you want to "heft" some different guns, there is a Gun Show in Glastonbury CT on March 1, 2014. There should be originals and repros there. Rather than buying something sight unseen.

Blair
12-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Lou, offers you the best solution so far.
Go to a place you can see and feel the differences for your self.
Make your choice from your actual "Sight" and "Hands On" feel for things.
Each of the makers have Pros and Cons going for them.
My suggestion would be to look into the new (within the last two years) made Pedersoli 1861's.
Problem is, I can't tell you where to get them or who is offering them at this time
My best,
Blair

Steve Weems
12-20-2013, 10:24 PM
I shot reproduction Enfields and Springfields for years before holding an original P1853 and was struck at the difference in weight and
balance in offhand shooting. I would second the advice above in trying out both original and reproductions. I hope to be able to
see an example of one of the new Pedersoli P1853 and see how they compare to the original I now shoot.