PDA

View Full Version : Tips on drilling bio-degradable pigeons?

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
12-17-2013, 04:51 PM
I just tried drilling four boxes of the bio-degradable pigeon for the first time. I don't remember the non bio-degradable ones being so brittle. I lost about a half box to breakage. Are there any tricks to not breaking so many? I made a wooden jig to center the pigeon and had wood right against the back of the bird. I used three different drill bits, and resharpened them all three times.

Has anyone written "Pigeon Drilling for Dummies" yet?

Mike Rouch 07791
12-17-2013, 06:29 PM
You need a drill bit ground for plastic. Grind a flat on both front cutting edges of the bit and relieve the back edge also. I can do it better than explain it. Bits that are ground for metal tend to grab too fast. Your local hardware might have drill bits for plastic. I gave a couple bits to the 1st Mich several years ago for the same reason.

Mike

mike davenport
12-21-2013, 05:46 PM
I have had success with using an old fashioned soildering iron and just 'melting" the hole in the item.
the other way I have done it is with a dremel tool and a sharp pointed wood rasp
both will get the job done.
mike

Lou Lou Lou
12-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Take a piece of round stock 1/8 of an inch diameter. Hammer one end flat and space a spade tip on it.
most any material will work....brass, copper iron