PDA

View Full Version : Help learning about my collection of CW long arms

Packardguy
12-08-2013, 01:18 AM
I have acquired a collection of CW arms - carbines and rifles from both sides. I would like to learn more about them. Is there a way I can tell where a firearm was delivered or history from the serial number? Thanks!

ead
12-08-2013, 11:49 AM
I believe you will have to be more specific about what you have as these records are available for some arms and not for others.

Maillemaker
12-08-2013, 09:01 PM
If you can post detailed pictures of your items you will probably get a lot of helpful information about them.

Steve

Packardguy
12-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Some of the ones I'd like to know about are J H Merrill carbine, Poultney and Trimble carbine, Parker Snow rifle, Tersson Rifle, Amberg Rifle, Sharps, Maynard carbine, Frowert rifle, 1854 Springfield, Spencer carbine, Burnside, Starr carbine, Joslyn carbine, CS Richmond rifle, etc. I will try to take some photos.

Southron Sr.
12-09-2013, 09:56 PM
This is a highly readable book that is a good survey of the different types of Civil War firearms and their history:

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Firearms-Historical-Background/dp/0306814595/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_3

Ron/The Old Reb
12-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Another good book is Civil War Guns By William B. Edwards
ISBN 0-89009-584-1

Packardguy
12-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your help. I think it would be very interesting to see if I could track down where any of these were issued to units. Are there any foreign guns known to have been supplied to either side? I appreciate any help you can give me. I love the history of these. I haven't fired any of them, and they have not been fired for many years, but it looks like with a good cleaning they could all operate safely. Thanks!

This is a highly readable book that is a good survey of the different types of Civil War firearms and their history:

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Firearms-Historical-Background/dp/0306814595/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_3