PDA

View Full Version : Removing bluing...and shooting .36 cal Navies

CAGerringer
11-25-2013, 05:26 PM
I've got 2 separate questions...
1. What is the best way to completely remove factory bluing?
And,
2. I need to know what charge people are shooting in .36 cal Navies. I've heard everything from 15 gns to 21. I've never had a Navy and would like to hear others experiences.
Thanks,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

jonk
11-25-2013, 06:18 PM
As to the first part of the question, the BEST way is to take it to a smith or machinist and have it professionally removed via media blasting or what not; though if original, obviously that will remove some sharpness to the markings impacting value. I've taken it off with naval jelly, but that leaves a gray dull finish that has to be buffed back out to shiny. There are also bluing removing products, but I find that they are hit and miss. Hard to get into nooks and crannies.

Mike Stein
11-25-2013, 10:40 PM
10 to 21 grains of 3F black powder for the load depending on what ball you are using and what you want to accomplish. 21 grains w/round ball and no filler. About 18 grains w/conical ball and no filler. Typical filler used is Cream of Wheat (aka COW) and others have been cut felt wads, wax wads and kapok. Damp COW and wax wads can sometimes have a tracer effect. I set a target on fire at 25 yards using wax wads. Accurate loads most often offered are around 12 to 15 grains with filler. Should give you enough to go out and try.

As for de-bluing, please provide insight as to why? Though the current Italian factory blue is not period correct, I recall the norm for Colts was being sold in blued.

Mike

CAGerringer
11-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Mike,
The removal of the blue is for a replacement cylinder for a SS '58 Remmie. The original has some offset chambers and I found a blued cylinder for cheap. If it has better alignment of the chambers, I'm going to strip it and buffer it bright.

Rebel Dave
11-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Soak the cyl in vinegar, the bluing will come right off.

Rebel Dave

Ron/The Old Reb
11-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Birchwood Casey makes a Blue and Rust Remover. I used it a number of years ago to reblue a revolver, it worked good.

John Holland
11-26-2013, 06:55 PM
The reply about Vinegar is correct, and don't forget about the effects of plain old Coke-a-Cola!

Muley Gil
11-26-2013, 07:29 PM
The reply about Vinegar is correct, and don't forget about the effects of plain old Coke-a-Cola!

Yup, it shore will take the bluing off. A friend of mine bought a new S&W .44 Magnum and his girlfriend got Co-Cola on it. Took the blue right off. He had a heck of a time explaining THAT to his wife.

Of course, if it take bluing off, what is it doing to yore tummy............................?

Mike Stein
11-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Of course, if it take bluing off, what is it doing to yore tummy............................?

Keeping your plumbing clean.

Mike Stein
11-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Mike,
The removal of the blue is for a replacement cylinder for a SS '58 Remmie. The original has some offset chambers and I found a blued cylinder for cheap. If it has better alignment of the chambers, I'm going to strip it and buffer it bright.

It isn't a San Marco is it? I had the same issue with a SS '58 Rem. Sold it off to a reenactor as they're not as critical about things lining up proper.

jaxenro
11-27-2013, 08:51 AM
+1 on the vinegar it strips the blue but isn't as aggressive as some of the others

CAGerringer
11-27-2013, 11:53 AM
It isn't a San Marco is it? I had the same issue with a SS '58 Rem. Sold it off to a reenactor as they're not as critical about things lining up proper.

No, Mike. It's an old, second hand Pietta. I already replaced the internals as they were worn, and the hand spring was broken. I buffed the cone up nice and smooth and 3 shots are dead on and three are consistent 'fliers'. Hoping a different cylinder will help.

CAGerringer
11-30-2013, 02:03 PM
This is the ticket! Distilled white vinegar. Immersed the cylinder overnight, and in the morning it was stripped bare. A lite brushing with a wire brush, re-immersed for a couple of hours and every nook and cranny was down to bare metal.
Thanks to all for the great advise.
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons