PDA

View Full Version : Much ado about a Gallagher

hippiearcher
11-24-2013, 10:58 PM
I recently had Robert Hoyt reline my Erma Gallagher to 50 caliber as he has done for many others. Can any skirmishers
who shoot the relined Gallagher give me some idea of the bullet size that seems to work best, and powder load?

In Schiffers book on carbines, he mentions, as has done many others who write about this carbine, the fact that cases
stick in the bore of the gun. I have shot an original back in the early 80's and had not experienced this, although it was
just random plinking from time to time. Has anyone had this issue using there carbine?

I have also read that some people use the black rubber Smith cases instead of the brass cases that I had bought from
Dixie. Does this work out better for not sticking?

As always, thanks for the great advice

Bob

Lou Lou Lou
11-25-2013, 08:23 AM
The Smith cases work if the chamber was redone to accept them.

hippiearcher
11-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Thanks Lou. After the holidays are over I am going to order some of the Smith cases
and see how they fit.

Bob

hawkeye
11-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Bob,
I would urge caution about ordering Smith cases for your Gallagher unless Hoyt specifically re-bored the chamber to fit them, thus making it a "Smallagher". Smith cases are larger than the regular Gallahger cases.
As far as the sticking cases, I have had that problem, too, with them sticking not only in the bore, but also in the base, which tends to be worse in regards to removing them. What I am trying now is to coat them with case lube that you use to lube brass cartridges prior to running through re-loading dies. If you're not familiar with it, it comes in a tube you spray on an absorbent pad, then roll your cases over it to lightly coat the cases, then let dry. Seems to work so far.
Hope that helps,
Bill Knipscher
10825V
Terry's Texas Rangers

hippiearcher
11-28-2013, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the information Bill. It has been at least a year since I got my Gallagher back from Mr. Hoyt, and I can't remember specifically
asking to have it relined for the Smith cases, just to reline it to .50 caliber. I did try one of the original brass cases I bought from Dixie in
the chamber after getting it back and it seems to fit fine, so maybe the Smith cases would not work. I didn't know they were larger.

I'm still rather a newbe when it comes to the finer points of the sport, and I appreciate the information that I can obtain here.

The lube sounds like a good idea. I assume you can get it at places like Midway?

Thanks,
Bob

Lou Lou Lou
11-28-2013, 07:54 AM
For what it's worth, my brass Smith tubes have an outside diameter of 0.660. Gallegher tubes are smaller

Ron/The Old Reb
11-28-2013, 08:46 AM
I use to have problems with cases sticking in my Smith to the point I had to use a pair of pliers to pull them out. I got a new lube pad and sprayed it good with silicone. After loading the Smith cases I rolled them on the lube pad. I have not had any cases stick in the chamber since. You might want to try that with your Gallagher.

hawkeye
11-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Yep, Midway has several brands of case lube as well as the pads. Good luck
Bill Knipscher