PDA

View Full Version : Ballard CF Conversion

RangerFrog
05-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Would someone be so kind as to direct me to a gunsmith who does the CF conversion for Ballards. Do you know whether they convert an existing block or fabricate a complete replacement? This question is prompted by the fact that I just tracked down a replacement for the missing extractor assembly, so am ready to start work again on that project. :roll:

TIA~ RangerFrog

Jack C., 69th NY
05-04-2008, 11:32 PM
RangerFrog,
It would make things so much easier if there was someone making the complete block assembly as this would take away the idea of altering an original arm. There are a few approved processes of converting an original Ballard breech block. I was referred to Larry Gollahan, through Nick Brevoort of the Gator Den. Larry's # is 859-635-1915, in Alexandria Kentucky. Nick @ Gator Den is 513-232-7045.

If you find anyone that is making a modern replacement block, I too sure would be interested in getting one. Keep in mind though, there are several Ballard variations and certain blocks do not fit all receivers. The block you need would depend on the model you have.
Good luck and have some fun with your Ballard.

PS: Others may chime in on your question and make sure you read John Hollands article on Ballards in a recent SkirmishLine, October-Dec., 2007

RangerFrog
05-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the response, Jack. What I have is actually too late to be used in skirmishing... a Brown Ballard with internal tang. The breech block is almost just like a later one from a Marlin except it has the threaded hole for a percussion nipple. Since it is a "FrankenBallard" being assembled from mixed parts, I am not quite so hesitant to alter the block, but I don't know how efficient it would be.

BTW, in the junk box I also have a one piece block that is open on the left side to load the parts in... I don't know which of the early Ballards it fits, but it seems like this would be the easier style to build from scratch if needed.

Any and all additional info encouraged and appreciated!

RangerFrog
1st Valley Rangers

John Holland
05-05-2008, 12:29 AM
The Brown-Ballard Rifle was accepted by the Small Arms Committee many years ago as a "Resonable replica of the original Ballard Rifle."

There may soon be available a center fire insert that replaces the nipple in the Brown-Ballard breech block. It is a non-destructive conversion to center fire.

John Holland
Chairman, Small Arms Committee

RangerFrog
05-05-2008, 07:20 AM
HAPPY DAYS :D :D
Thanks for that great news, John. I'll put my venerable old Brown back on the shelf for a while longer to see if that nipple replacement project comes to fruition. I really like the phrase, "non-destructive" when dealing with even mismatched original parts. I've got a suitable butt stock I can shape to the military profile, and the fore end shouldn't be TOO great a problem, so the firing pin conversion should be the last necessary step before rebarreling. :D

Thanks,
Charlie Shaeff
RangerFrog

John Holland
05-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Charlie -

Contact S&S to see about the availability of 3-band rifle size Ballard forearms. My understanding is that they have them and they are at least cut to to length and profiled...you remove the rest of the wood and fit to the rifle. Anything is better than starting out with a board!

John

RangerFrog
05-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks again John! I noticed in the approved arms section where Ballard block conversions were listed, it appears that several people make/made complete block assemblies. The names Gubert, Hemmerly, Webber and Dilliot show up apparently having made breech block assemblies. Are any of these still doing this work? Also, where do I get the spec sheet showing what I need in the way of a barrel. sights, etc.? Do you know of anyone making a competition approved replacement barrel for it? Finally, how does this thing compete (what events?) Is it legal in carbine version or just as a rifle/musket?

I'm just as full of questions as a 3-yr old, huh? :shock:

Charlie the RangerFrog

John Holland
05-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi Charlie,

I picked up your PM, and am working up answers for you.

John

RangerFrog
05-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Did anybody bring any new Ballard stuff to the Nationals? I got an extractor from Gator Den, but had to have somebody pick it up for me since I was off at the NRA Annual Meeting. :cry: Was there any scuttlebutt about how the "no-alteration" CF conversion was coming along, or whether anybody had tooled up to make CF breech blocks yet? "Inquiring minds..." :wink:

RangerFrog

Bob Elka, 12001
06-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Charlie, I have made a few blocks for myself for skirmishing and I think an entire "new" block properly fitted is a very good idea. The original blocks are certainly safe and will be fine however it's hard to beat the enhancements of new metal and a custom fit. I hate the idea of destroying an original rifle or block assembly if an option is available but that's not always the case. John has seen my blocks and if regular toolroom work continues to disappear here in Mich I may produce a limited number of block assemblies in the future but they are highly labor intensive. Something you don't mind doing for yourself but they would be difficult to produce at a reasonable price. ............bob