PDA

View Full Version : Fife

Eggman
11-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Anybody out there know the code on how to get a note out of one of these things?

Don Branch 12592
11-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Perhaps you could use a long narrow pair of tweezers or hemostats. :D

Eggman
11-18-2013, 05:58 PM
No I mean a music note ----- DOGS!!!!!!!! I know it can be done. I've heard a clutch of Marylanders get musical notes out of them all at once.

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
11-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Eggs,

I play the fife. The way I line up the large mouth hole is place the hole squarely in the middle of the bottom lip, then rotate the fife outward til you feel the edge of the hole at the bottom of the lip, then blow a pinhole of air across and or into the hole like you would on a bottle, rotating the fife back and forth a little until you start to get a steady sound (Note).

Don Branch 12592
11-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Also found this:
http://m.wikihow.com/Play-the-Fife

John Holland
11-18-2013, 11:53 PM
I'm not good at playing a fife, by any means, but I have found that the old original wooden fifes in general seem to have a better tone than the new modern fifes. Now, if I could only read music..... :-D

Eggman
11-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Yeah I went with the cheapo to see if I could play it. Seem to be getting a "note" pretty consistantly now so maybe there's hope. I had to relearn note reading -- did this by repeatedly playing the scales in the instruction book learning to play - what else - bagpipes.

Eggman
11-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Francis - your advice worked best!

John Holland
11-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Bagpipes....WOW....one of the world's most famous military musical instruments! So, if I hear the skree of the pipes down along Back Creek someday I'll know it's just you tuning up and not someone strangling a goose! :-D

R. McAuley 3014V
11-19-2013, 04:39 PM
To the bloody Sassanachs (the English), the skirl of bagpipes sounds like someone skinning a cat!

Mike Stein
11-20-2013, 01:05 AM
Yet more intimidating then French Horns.

Ron/The Old Reb
11-20-2013, 08:41 AM
I can just hear Dixie being played on Bag Pipes in the opening ceremonies.
Could be dangerous.

Mike McDaniel
11-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Remember that bagpipes are the only musical instrument that was banned as a weapon of war. :D

Eggman
11-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Now that I'm getting a clear note on the fife my wife says take it outside. I'm only allowed to play the bagpipes when she's in town.

macvcallsign
11-25-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm not good at playing a fife, by any means, but I have found that the old original wooden fifes in general seem to have a better tone than the new modern fifes. Now, if I could only read music.....

John, I'm in the same boat! Frank Schoch gave me his Fife many years ago, it's an old original with an original "Cheater". That's a Pewter mouth piece that clamps on the fife so you can blow into it like a whistle. Works great but I have to learn to read music also!:D Have a newer metal one but it just does not sound that good, higher pitched and metallic sounding.

Dennis Schuler, Cmdr.
4th Kentucky Cavalry, CSA
1561V

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
11-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Dennis, I have two fifes that I carry in my fife case when we march or do living history events. I have an original "Crosby" rosewood fife and a fiberglass fife that I switch to when the original gets a little slobbered and wet, to let it dry out a little bit. Like John stated, the original woods have a much better tone, and sometimes I'll play one, then the other to let people hear the difference.

I have a thought, the Spring National is 6 months away, You & Eggman can take that time to practice, then you all can do dueling fifes beings your only a campsite away from each other, might drive the 5th Va. Cav. nuts though.

mserio
11-27-2013, 07:19 PM
I always thought "fife" and "music" were mutually exclusive words!!! Anxious to hear you guys play!

macvcallsign
12-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Dennis, I have two fifes that I carry in my fife case when we march or do living history events. I have an original "Crosby" rosewood fife and a fiberglass fife that I switch to when the original gets a little slobbered and wet, to let it dry out a little bit. Like John stated, the original woods have a much better tone, and sometimes I'll play one, then the other to let people hear the difference.

I have a thought, the Spring National is 6 months away, You & Eggman can take that time to practice, then you all can do dueling fifes beings your only a campsite away from each other, might drive the 5th Va. Cav. nuts though.

Herb,

Sounds like a wonderful idea but I am not a player. Can't read music and have a terrible ear. The Fife just sits in an honored spot in our secretary with other family original items from the Civil War.

Dennis Schuler, Cmdr.
4th Kentucky Cavalry, CSA
1561V