PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Sharps Berdan Update

Hickok
11-06-2013, 07:58 AM
I received my Pedersoli Sharps Berdan back from Charlie Hahn after having him do his complete job modification, the solid breech block and o-ring fix. Charlies work is outstanding. 40 rounds through the rifle and no freeze up of the breech block. Another plus was the forearm wasn't full of blackpowder fowling. With the original Pedersoli type breech block, the fowling blew up and under the forearm making it black inside. With the Hahn mod, I couldn't find any bp fowling in the forearm. Thanks again Charlie!

I did some chronographing with a few loads. The bullet is a Rapine ringtail, cast 1 part lead and 1 part wheelweight, weighing 471 grains, lubed with Len's Lube, Charlie' tube 1.5" and RWS caps, 3 shot average, @ 15 feet, Pact Chronograph, 52 degrees.

50 gr. Goex 2fg.= 870 fps. Extreme spread=36fps

60 gr. Goex 2fg.= 955fps. Exteme spread= 11fps

3 shot groups @ 50 yards are 1 inch and sometimes just one hole. At 100 yards the rifle will put 3 shots into 2 inches off a bench. This is with 50 grains of 2fg.

The trajectory is + 5 high at 50 yards to hit dead on at 100 yards.

I made a shim that I can place under the rear sight where it pivots to put the rifle dead on at 100 yards. When I remove the shim, the rifle is zeroed +2 inches high at 50 yards. Works well, and no permanent modification to the sights. That way I can use the rifle deer hunting as well as skirmishing in 2014 when I join up.

ian45662
11-06-2013, 02:05 PM
My experience with charlies mod has been the same as yours. I shoot all day with no problems. Does that rifle have double set triggers?

Hickok
11-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Yes it has double set triggers. If and when I get to use it in a N-SSA shoot, I will have to remove the set trigger.

jonk
11-06-2013, 09:24 PM
I certainly can't complain about Charlie's work. Every Sharps I've seen him modify has been done very well indeed. But: for anyone with an unmodified one- if you're getting fouling blown up under the forearm, two things come to mind.

1. Check the thickness of the spacer washer between the breechblock and the breech face plate (gas check). It should be as thick as possible without binding the action.

2. Insert a small oil soaked piece of sponge into the area under and forward of the breech block. This will block any residual gas from escaping.

Finally fill the cavity in the block face with synthetic high pressure grease.

Do that and even an unmodified one can run all day while remaining slick as snot.