PDA

View Full Version : Which Silver Solder?

B-Davis
11-05-2013, 01:07 PM
I am trying to build up a front sight on a carbine I am working on. the carbine shoots a couple of inches high. I have cut a hood/shroud that fits over the original sight, and would like to silver solder this hood onto the original sight.
I went to Home-Depo during my lunch break and saw Oatey Safe Flo Silver Solder. Is this really silver solder? Will it work? If not, what brands of silver solder work best, and where is it available for purchase?
Inquiring minds want to know!
Bryan Davis

Blair
11-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Bryan,

Which firearm type are you wishing to set up with a hooded/shrouded front sight?
My best,
Blair

B-Davis
11-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Blair,
I should have corrected my lingo. It is not a "hood" as you may be thinking/ I have taken a piece of thick shim stock, and cut into it's center and then have spread the cut/trench out to create a "v". I am trying to add height to a Burnside carbine's front sight.
I would like to silver solder this piece on top of the original front sight, so I have material to work with to get the carbine to shoot point of aim.
Bryan

Blair
11-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Bryan,

There are several arms that use a pinned German Silver or Brass type front sight blade to the front sight base.
I do not remember if Burnside used this method. You may want to check with the SAC to see for sure?

A solder I have used in the past with good effect has been 95-5% lead to tin mix. It melts at low temps and is easy to clean up.

I hope this helps.
Blair

B-Davis
11-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Blair,
the sight is more like the Richmond's, having the "swoop" style front sight. I just want to add about a 1/16 of an inch so I have some material to work with or file on.

Blair
11-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Bryan,

This type of sight is often called a pinch style/type front sight.

It might be best to find someone with a TIG welder that can add a bit of height to your existing sight blade without creating enough heat to cause the sight to become loose or fall off from over heating the old silver solder.
Just a thought on my part.
My best,
Blair

B-Davis
11-10-2013, 03:14 PM
2264So, this is what I ended up with. I am hoping to take the Burnside out after Thanksgiving.
I had heated up the front sight, and the piece I wanted on (I had made from some old scrap steel) I heated both at the same time using a combo of a torch and soldering iron to get the sight on. When I finished, I sanded with 600 grit paper and then blued the sight. I will have to trim it for proper height.
I am hoping to use the 300 yd. sight since it is like a ghost sight with a "v" notch at the bottom, it is a quite comfortable sight picture.
Thanks for all the advice !
Bryan

Blair
11-10-2013, 05:12 PM
B-Davis,

Actually, that is pretty ugly!
Sorry!
But, if it gets you your Turkey, who cares?
Once you have your bird... check with SAC for approval within the N-SSA for competition?
Just my opinion,
Blair

B-Davis
11-10-2013, 06:43 PM
As an old saying goes, an ugly win is better than a beatiful loss! Truthfully, it is my first attempt ever doing this type of work. After finding a powder charge, I will have to trim, file, and clean it up. Hopefully, it will look better when all is said and done.

RaiderANV
11-11-2013, 12:16 AM
Bryan,
There many sutlers who carry replacement shooter sights for all our toys. They ran about 10-12 yankee greenbacks. It's better to remove the front sight and replace with taller front sight then to destroy a $50-75 original. Before filing on that original rear sight leaf know it's around $150-175 for it in original condition. =}

B-Davis
11-11-2013, 05:22 AM
Agreed. I have been looking for a burnside repro sight, and can not find one. That is why I made it so tall, and have given myself extra space in the front and rear of the sight.

RaiderANV
11-11-2013, 10:08 PM
You tried Lodgewood??? 262-473-5444

B-Davis
11-12-2013, 07:10 AM
They have originals.
The original is safely underneath the tall sight I built. I am going to use the 300 yd.rear sight for my 50 yd. sight. When I trim, I will never be anywhere near the original front sight.