PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Mis-Aligned on Nipple - Armi Sport M1842

terrydull
10-28-2013, 11:37 PM
I just bought a used Armi Sport M1842 Smoothbore from reenactor. It needs some clean up and some adjustments here and there. However, I am a little concerned that the hammer is just left of center when cocked.

When the hammer comes down, it hits just a hair left of center but then aligns itself onto the nipple. The cone of the nipple straightens the hammer's fall.

Is this a gunsmithing issue or is the hammer just lose in the lock and needs adjustment?

Hickok
10-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Terry, this can be caused by someone overtightening the lock plate screws, as it tends to compress the wood under the lockplate. Over a period of time, the wood gets compressed and the entire lockplate sets deeper into the stock mortise, causing the hammer to align to the left of the nipple. An easy fix is to glass bed under the lockplate where the wood is compressed. This can bring the hammer back in line with the nipple. You can even make a shim to fit into the stock mortise to set the lockplate out to align the hammer, but I like the permanent glass bed fix.

There can be other causes for hammer misalignment, but I have seen this to a major cause, as some people tighten the lock plate screws like they are tightening lug nuts on a semi truck!

Michael Bodner
10-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Are you sure its the correct hammer? Even though it fits and hits, it might be from a different model and therefore doesn't line up correctly...

-Mike

terrydull
10-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Got to meet with the Yoda of the Midwest Region today ... He took the lock off and adjusted the internal lock screws and .... VOA-LA ... Straightened right up!