PDA

View Full Version : Unobtanium Nipple Wrench availability?

Jim Barber
10-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Does anyone make an indestructible revolver nipple wrench? I've just destroyed my 4th trying to extract the nipples from a used Rogers and Spencer.

Here's the story:

The first I'll put down to excitement and over-exuberance: this was my first revolver. I was overjoyed when I received it & had an irrational need to take it apart and put it back together. I'd purchased a very inexpensive nipple wrench, and managed to remove one nipple before I rounded it off-- I tried it on all 6, and one came loose. Next one I really bore down on rounded off the corners of the wrench. Crud.

Ordered some widgets and spares for the R&S, including another inexpensive nipple wrench. This time, I soaked the offending cylinder with WD40 overnight. Rounded off the replacement wrench after about 5 minutes of hamfisted cussing. So much for #2.

Realized (I thought) the error of my ways. More spares and stuff from S&S, including wrench #3. Soaked the cylinder in WD40 for a couple weeks, occasionally blasting it with more while it sat on an increasingly greasy towel on the workbench. Put on a pair of gloves, prepared for battle. Hit it with a propane torch, generated lots of smoke. Swiftly rounded off wrench #3, without a whole lot of effort. And for the record, I held the cylinder flat on the bench, tightly in my left hand while I pressed down hard on the wrench while turning.

Picked up some really nice widgets at Nationals, including a very nicely made nipple wrench (Tom Krone) and a can of Kroil. Soaked the cylinder (from both ends) with Kroil, let it fester overnight. Extracted three more nipples, with considerable effort. Tom's nipple wrench appeared to be indestructible-- finally, I could totally disassemble and really clean this stinkin' gun up! It's been a lot of work getting the breech area of the cylinders clean with the nipples stuck in there. Just a couple more to go! More muscle! You can do it, Indestructible Wrench! Well, on the fourth try, I bent the wrench. Not rounded like the cheapies-- I really broke it.

So. 4 down, 2 to go. I can't keep breaking tools.

For what it's worth, I've never had this problem with the long guns. I always very lightly grease the threads after I've cleaned everything up, and they're just snug upon removal. Also, the threads on the nipples I've removed from the cylinder are all straight and true-- none appear buggered or anything, and the one I removed originally always comes out easily, even with one of my mangled wrenches.

Titanium nipple wrenches? Tiny, tiny slide hammers? Incantations? Healthcare.gov? The fat of a hog culled during the Weaning Season? Any advice is very much welcome at this point!

Thanks gurus.

Jim B
110th OVI
Grove City, OH

ps: and btw, I intend on getting another of the Tom Krone-made nipple wrenches. It really is a good tool. I just gave it more abuse than it was meant to take. It fit MUCH better, and had more strength than, any of the really inexpensive wrenches I broke earlier in the year. Anything small enough to fit in there has a limit to its Power to Resist Hamfisted Stubbornness and Misuse.

MR. GADGET
10-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Carry the parts to Tom, tell him the problem and he will make something you can not break.
He can make it from harder steel or harden it for you maybe even some other metal.

He has done a lot of work for me and making parts for my powder measure along with other tools now.
He is a great guy and a lot of talent.

RaiderANV
10-28-2013, 09:06 PM
After destroying the first cheapo wrench I'd have taken my trusty propane torch to it and had then all out in short order.

Bob Lintner
10-28-2013, 11:08 PM
I had the same problem with my Euroarms Zouave. I had my head mechanic get me a 1/4 inch drive, square socket from the Snap-On dealer and had to drill it out so the top of the nipple fit up into it far enough so it went completely down on the nipple. Two of my mechanics held the Zouave while I cranked on the socket on a small (6 inch) 1/4 inch drive breaker bar. It make a crack, then came loose. I use silver Nevr-Sieze on the threads now and just snug it up-NO MORE PROBLEMS! Good luck! Bob

Mike Stein
10-30-2013, 12:51 AM
The trouble Jim's got is revolver cones sometimes comes with two flats instead of four. His option might be to get a square socket as suggested by Bob Litner and then fire up the dremel to alongate a couple of sides so it gets past the round parts of the cone.