PDA

View Full Version : LG&Y with Whitacre barrel

ms3635v
10-25-2013, 03:12 PM
I shot my son-in-law's LG & Y 3 bander with a Whitacre barrel at the range today to try Moose's Wilkinsons in it. The bore is .580", so the bullets were sized to .579", lubed with MCM on the base only, and loaded with 40 grains of GOEX 3F. Attached is a photo of the best 5 shot group from a bench. These bullets are amazing.

Jim Barber
10-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Mike,

Is the twist rate on your LG&Y Whitacre barrel 1 in 72? I'm trying to eliminate or account for variables, since it seems like there's been a good bit of variation in success with the Wilkinson. My dad and I have been tinkering around with the Moose Wilkinson (both have .577 bores, bullet sized to .576, mine has a 1 in 66 twist, 2-band Springfield), also using Goex 40g FFFg, and had mixed results. None have keyholed, but we're both still fiddling to dial it in. Base lubed with Crisco/beeswax. FWIW, used the same lube on .576 wadcutters at Nationals and had a smashing day.

If winter doesn't bear down too soon I'd like to get back out to the range and play with the Wilkinson some more. The best luck I've had was at 100 yds, but they all came in very low with the 40g load. Tighter group than I got with the Wilkinson at 50yds though, go figure! Maybe try 43 or 45g?

At least it provides a great justification for getting out to the range.

Cheers
Jim B.

ms3635v
10-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Hey Jim,

Both my son-in-law's LG&Y (.580" sized to .579") and my Zouave (.577" sized to .576") have Whitacre barrels that are 1:72" twists, 3 lands and grooves. Both guns shoot to point of aim with 40 grains of GOEX 3F and the base only, lubed with MCM. I also have a Euroarms .54 caliber Mississippi rifle that I shoot a .542" Moose Wilkinson out of with 40 grains of 3F GOEX. The Mississippi is 1:66" twist, multi-groove stock barrel, and shoots consistent groups right around 2 inches or slightly under from the bench. I have seen at least one other post where someone was getting respectable results with 38 grains of 3F. I had a good day at the Fall Nationals musket team match with my Zouave and the Wilkinson. I am very pleased with the Wilkinson bullets.

Tim Lyne
10-30-2013, 07:01 AM
I shoot the Moose Wilk in three skirmish rifles (so far); a .54 Lorenz, an LG&Y and a '63 Springfield, all of which have been relined by Hoyt to 1-66" twist. Believe it or not, I get the best accuracy with a 30gr. load across all three. I size a thousandth under and lube them with a Bees wax/"Virgin" olive oil mix. I shot one of my best 100yd. targets at this past national with this load in the Lorenz. I've always been a big believer in "lots 'o lube" theory, but I can't believe what little lube you need with these! I really like this bullet.

Tim Lyne
Knap's Batt.
#2952V