PDA

View Full Version : WTB - 1855 Rifle Barrel

SyLibby
10-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Hey all,
I'm looking for an 1855 rifle barrel. Orginal or repro. Or any leads to find one would be appreciated.

regards,
Scott Sheets

R. McAuley 3014V
10-17-2013, 10:59 PM
Loose original Harpers Ferry M1855 barrels are pretty rare by themselves, but have seen one or two here and there. Lodgewood is your best bet for an original barrel while Whitacre makes a M1855 heavy barrel for both the '55 Harpers Ferry and C.S. Fayetteville. You will have to decide whether you want one for a brass-mounted with long range sight or iron-mounted with 1858 three-leaf sight. Rich Cross makes both types of rear sights, but if you decide on the later version you will need the three-leaf "Rifle" (R-marked) rear sight leaves to have the correct rear sight for the '55 Rifle.

SyLibby
10-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the information. I've sent a message to Lodgewood. I havent decided on a version yet. I'm thinking early brass version. I'm working on converting 7 Mississippi rifles for my reenacting group. The unit we portray (36th Illinois) has Miss rifles issued to one flank company at their initial issue. I have a theory based on some of the documentation that they may have had 1855 rifles in brass hardware. The descriptions in the diaries/letters etc. are vauge. Most mention 'minie rifle' with sword bayonet. thought it would be neat to have one of each for comparisons sake. Of course, you can never have to many guns, and '55 rifles seem pretty scarce in reenacting circles now, might as well try to set the trend. :p Hoping to get a few of our members into NSSA next year also, so rifles will be nice to have.

Regards,
Scott Sheets

R. McAuley 3014V
10-18-2013, 11:33 PM
I shoot a '55 Rifle, an iron-mounted 1860 with a Whitacre barrel. It doesn't miss but its idiot does occasionally.