PDA

View Full Version : Diff between 1855 Springfield Type I & Type II

terrydull
10-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Hello!

Based on my limited knowledge, I only see three (3) differences between a Type I & Type II 1855 Springfield. Please let me know if I'm missing anything from my list below:

Type I - No Patch Box, Long Range Sight (rear), Brass Nose Cap

Type II - Patch Box, Leaf Sight (rear), Steel Nose Cap

I'm asking because I might have some fun this winter and build one from parts. I bulit a Hawken kit about 30 years ago and really enjoyed it.

Thank you, in advance, for any help.

Terry

Blair
10-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Terry,

Request the Spec Sheets from SAC for the three M-1855 Rifle Muskets types.
This will give you all the correct measurements.
I hope this helps.
My best,
Blair

Jim Mulligan 7288V
10-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Order the barrel today if you want any chance of building one this winter.

terrydull
10-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Terry,

Request the Spec Sheets from SAC for the three M-1855 Rifle Muskets types.
This will give you all the correct measurements.
I hope this helps.
My best,
Blair

Thanks Blair ... very helpful.

terrydull
10-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Order the barrel today if you want any chance of building one this winter.

How about Monday? :D I'm going to take a look at a Type I this weekend to see how it works for me. If it does, building one could be a fun hobby this winter. I'll give Whitacre a call tho and find out some details, I'm also doing some research on other parts as well.

This may or may not work out. But thanks for the heads up, Jim! See you Sat?

Terry

Jim Mulligan 7288V
10-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Hoyt barrels are nice snd you can actually get one. You can order the barrel today because you are going to like it.

terrydull
10-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Hoyt barrels are nice snd you can actually get one. You can order the barrel today because you are going to like it.

I hope I do!

Anyway, still researching parts ... found several sources for N-SSA approved parts & stocks ... Hey "lock, stock, & barrel" LOL ... would like to find a lock assembly ... or alternatively, find a UG recommeded gunsmith willing to assembly the lock and do the trigger work at the same time. That seems to make sense.

Since I've been assured that I'm going to LIKE the 1855 Type I :D, I'll also do some "fishing" on Monday to see what folks have and might want to sell. That worked pretty well with my smoothbore "fishing" trip. But the possibility to build-your-own has some real appeal to me.

Thanks again!

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
10-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Remember that any custom firearm must be inspected and approve by the SAC committee before it can be used in competition.

Blair
10-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Phil,

This is why I suggested getting the SAC Spec Sheets on these arms first.
Once the Model type is worked out... the Spec Sheets should provide information that will help achieve SAC acceptance.
My best,
Blair

terrydull
10-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Remember that any custom firearm must be inspected and approve by the SAC committee before it can be used in competition.

Good point, Phil. I got an e-mail today from a guy in the Middle Atlantic region who just went through a SAC inspection of his build of a Richmond Type 1-A. He had some good feedback from me also.

With the limited number of reproductions and the variablity of potential sellers for the 1855 Type I, the build-your-own has some potential for a nice winter project.

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
10-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Blair,

You are correct. I sent Terry the SAC sheets today.

Blair
10-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Phil, thanks.

I think I also have copies I could have sent Terry.
But I was not sure which model type he was wanting to build so I suggested he request all of them. (I can't remember if I have all of them).
I also have photos (in their correct order) of the three basic type Rifle Musket's that I have built over the years based on the SAC Spec Sheets, along with the two Harpers Ferry Rifle variations.
Anyone wishing this info, I'll be happy to send it to them if they send me an e-mail to btaylor18@cfl.rr.com
Sometimes photos help show some of the differences one does not get with the measurements.
My best,
Blair

terrydull
10-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Phil, thanks.
Anyone wishing this info, I'll be happy to send it to them if they send me an e-mail to btaylor18@cfl.rr.com
Sometimes photos help show some of the differences one does not get with the measurements.
My best,
Blair

Blair ... If I go that route ... I'll take you up on the offer of some pics because a picture is worth a 1,000 words!

Blair
10-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Terry,

Pictures I offered were sent by e-mail as requested. (several times in several ways)
You have not replied to my sent e-mails.
Have you received them?
My best,
Blair

terrydull
10-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Terry,

Pictures I offered were sent by e-mail as requested. (several times in several ways)
You have not replied to my sent e-mails.
Have you received them?
My best,
Blair

Blair ... I have not recieved a single picture :confused:

Blair
10-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Terry,

New e-mail sent with photos...
Please let me know if you get them?
My best
Blair