PDA

View Full Version : The Whitworth Rifle........

Dispatch
10-13-2013, 12:04 PM

le piaf
10-13-2013, 05:45 PM
The Parker Hale whitworth is an accurate rifle ,you need to change military sights for a soule diopter and a front sight with inserts , even with bullet like lyman 457121 or 457132 you can cut clover leaf in the bullseye at 100 meter, patched hex bullet are recommanded for long range (over 500yards)

R. McAuley 3014V
10-18-2013, 11:27 PM
What maker produces the best quality in this model?

Manchester Ordnance and Rifle Company, why of course! Sorry, but that's who made this one:

Shown with an example of the .55 standard service bullet intended to be used with it.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii305/rmac1023/Whitworthpic02_zps82c76ca9.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii305/rmac1023/Whitworthpic05_zpsabc32549.jpg

dbm
10-28-2013, 03:20 AM
...you need to change military sights for a soule diopter and a front sight with inserts
If you are interested in historical accuracy, the Soule sight is totally inappropriate for a Whitworth. The military match type rifles generaly reproduced were mostly used during the 1860s. Onto this rifle you are suggesting mouting an American sight not patented until 1889 (i.e well into the breech loading era).

David

le piaf
10-28-2013, 07:21 AM
Sorry ,David , you are right (mine are fitted with Holbrook sights) , I have wrote "soule" only because I have not in my mind the correct name( i am a dmn'd frogeater) .
About 1889, do you expect that "hadley cup " would be accepted on a Whitworth;) ? I have ask the MLAIC about it, without full answer .

medic302
10-28-2013, 08:02 PM
@ dispatch

I currently own and have shot competivly in long range muzzleloading matches with a euroarms whitworth.
this is actual experience with the gun, first you need a platinum lined nipple, the steel nipples are useless as they burn out in under 20rnds sending your accuracy from sub 2min groups to that of a basket ball. don't be cheap just get the nipple so you can do some real work with the rifle.

just like a musket, the tension on the barrel bands needs to be even and the tang bolt tight to get the best accuracy. also the rifle will need to be bedded regardless of the make, there usually isn't any contact between the barrel and stock. if you intend to compete in MLAIC matches you will be restricted to historical bedding, if not, then accraglass is the far simpler solution.

also, you cannot rush a whitworth, they like to be clean. so wiping between shots is necessary, the best thing to do is to file a .50 jag down to hex shaped and clean thusly. clean down to the breech with a damp patch, then 5 stokes up and down with 2 dry patches, snap a cap and then reload. just the same as any other match rifle.

the sights on the rifle are up to you and depend on what kind of shooting you intend to do. if you ever intend to shoot in a match forget the battlefield sights. you will need to replace both the front and rear sights with aperture sights, there are many choices on this and I can provide suggestions for these if you like. if you are interested in historical accuracy of the sights forget it, the battlefield sights on the rifle aren't historically accurate, nor are the aperture sights, although the Holbrook sight is probably the closest.

as for bullets, paper patched bullets work the best in whitworth rifling. you do not have to shoot hex bullets at all. in fact there are no good hex molds available and a swaging die would cost about a zillion dollars. cylindrical bullets shoot just as well as hex bullets. they should be cast out of 40-1 alloy or softer. weight should be around 500-530grns, the rifle only has a 1-20 twist so much heavier and the bullets will be getting too long to stabilize well. if you get a whitworth I have some bullets sitting around you can have to get you started.

here is the load that I shoot from my whitworth.

90grns swiss 1.5F
3/8" thick .50 felt wad
.060" hex veggie wad
530grn pp bullet MV= 1280fps

whitworths will shoot very well up to about 800yrds, beyond that they aren't competitive with the other match rifles like the pedersoli gibbs which has a 1-18" twist. that being said, I still enjoy shooting my whitworth they are fun and interesting rifles to shoot. either choice available is good both the euroarms and the parker hale whitworths shoot well. I hope this helps you.

dbm
10-30-2013, 03:12 AM
About 1889, do you expect that "hadley cup " would be accepted on a Whitworth;) ? I have ask the MLAIC about it, without full answer .
The Hadley eye-cup is of similar period to the Soule Sight. Whether such US made sights were found on a British rifle, with two decades between their manufacture, is open to speculation. I would not however regard them as contemporary - that is a personal view and many people are content to put such sights on these and similar rifles. You will need to chase the MLAIC (http://www.mlaic.org) for feedback / clarification - they are currently reviewing their rules again and looking at reproduction arms in particular. If you use facebook there is an MLAIC Group which is quite active, you could post your question there - there are links to facebook from the MLAIC web site home page.

You will find aperture sights on original Whitworth military rifles; there are generally elevation only on the rearsight and windage adjustment on the foresight. This is typical of the period, although some rear sights with windage adjustment are known.

The Goodwin sight by the way was originally concieved as an orthoptic device and used in conjuction with the military sights to improve sight picture. The only original Goodwin sight I have seen has no graduations on it.

David