PDA

View Full Version : WTB>> Romano Maynard

Bullseye54
10-12-2013, 10:37 AM
I have desided to step up and buy a Romano Maynard ??
Any leads on nice one??
Joe Niezelski...

Jim Wimbish, 10395
10-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Joe,

Just buy a new First Model from Larry and save yourself the aggravation. Get a 26 inch 36 caliber barrel and use the small nipple with the #11 caps. You won't regret it. It's what I shoot and a good friend just bought the same configuration from Larry. He tried a Sharps but didn't like all of the work with the ammo due to his travel schedule.

I have shot original and reproduction Maynards of both models. I picked the 36 caliber barrel over the 50 caliber barrel because the barrel is heavier due to the smaller caliber and holds better for me. The 36 caliber bullet has an excellent ballistic coefficient and shoots flatter than the 50 caliber. About the only time that you are at an disadvantage is with the stake event. I recommend going with the Romano gun over an original because it will save you the expense of having to get a second barrel. You can get the barrel that you want when you order the gun. By the way, I originally got my First Model with a 50 cal. 26 inch barrel and decided that I liked the weight of the 36 caliber better. I have never regretted that decision. If you have a chance to try both barrels before you decide, by all means do so.

I have shot both the musket caps and the #11 caps. I shot the musket caps for years and switched about 2 years ago to the #11's. I don't get hit in the face with the #11's which was a problem with the musket caps due to the flat hammer on the Model 1. However, I have hit teammates to my right twice with the #11's and have now been exiled to the far right when we shoot carbine.

Best regards.

Rob FreemanWBR
10-13-2013, 07:38 AM
My humble opinion/personal experiences on this subject:

Do the leg work and get a decent original for a number of reasons. I’d recommend that you get a repo barrel (store the original barrel in a safe place – for future resale value if you ever have to part with your piece) that you can get worked up/sighted in. There are several gentlemen in the association who do quality repairs on M-1s if needed. With an original lower receiver and worked up repo barrel you’ll have a winning combination.

Some will argue the M-2 loads faster than a M-1. Maybe so, but the advantages in accuracy that an M-1 delivers via its large sight radius makes up for the possible fractions of seconds you may get from an M-2.

A properly sighted M-1 with a correct load is literally a “tack driver” amongst standard issue military black powder arms of that era. I advise the long, .50 cal barrel as you’ll be using a heavier round which won't be affected by cross winds, and has the hitting powder against breakable targets and stake events.

As for caps, I’d recommend a nipple which uses standard musket caps. I haven't used pistol caps on my Maynard, and haven't heard much in this regard either way. But for ease in loading, and standardization of your kit, I'd think the musket-sized caps would be much easier to load/remove during the heat of an event.

Again - I'm not throwing darts at the opinions/recommendations of others. Our sport involves just as much (if not more) “art” as it does “science”. Bottom line you'll have to determine what work's best for YOU. Some don't like the M-1 simply for its ergonomics – especially in its unique butt/shoulder stock that doesn’t suit some skirmishers well, and they opt for the M-2 instead. Likewise there are other fine breach loading carbine models widely used in the N-SSA with great success, i.e., Smith, Sharps, etc…

Hope this is of some help/use. Best of luck to you in your quest!!

YOU DON'T KNOW ?
10-13-2013, 12:34 PM
PM sent Gary Pope Hazelwood Vol.