PDA

View Full Version : Miss. Barrel

14thg
10-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Hi all,
I have a Mississippi barrel I am looking to sell off but I don't know if it is a legal barrel for the N-SSA. The barrel has been sleeved to .54 cal and on the under side it stamped "H.F.OPFER". I am assuming this is the name of the person that sleeved the barrel, but I don't know who that is. The barrel came off of a musket I bought from a skirmisher about 13 years ago. He was shooting it at the time. I was new when he sold it to me and he did not give me a SAC card to go with it. He has since passed so I obviously can't talk to him about it. He originally told me it was a Hoyt barrel and I had Mr. Hoyt look at it and he said it was not his work. The musket is a parts gun with a repro stock, original hardware, and this barrel on it. I have since swapped the barrel out with a Hoyt .577 cal barrel, so this one is of no use to me.

Does anyone have any information about this person?

Thanks for your help!

Greg

Jim Barber
10-08-2013, 06:27 AM
That's Harris Opfer, from the 110th OVI. Harris passed away a couple years ago. He did many extraordinary things, but I don't believe he made barrels. Someone more familiar with Harris's armory will likely chime in here with more info for you.

Cheers
Jim B.
110th OVI
Grovetucky, OH