PDA

View Full Version : Buck & ball demo match for a 150th CW anniversary event??

John Wells 3rd US
10-07-2013, 02:56 PM
I know we've been trying to have a "special event" each National to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the war. How about a "buck and ball" evening demo match, one smoothbore team from each region (by invitation or lottery, like the night artillery matches). Authentic buck and ball loads, 2 events, 32 claybirds on a board at 50 yards, 16-4" tiles at 100 yards.

I believe I read that as late as Gettysburg there were more casualties to buck and ball than to minies. We always joke about using Shalers or buck and ball to clean bird boards. Why not try it once???

Dheisey#7003
10-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Maybe WE could get conditional approval to shoot that in the Smoothbore Team match...? LOL!!!!

Mike McDaniel
10-07-2013, 04:28 PM
I like the idea, but would rather see 25 and 50 yard targets. And better use disposable frames...that buckshot is not terribly well-controlled.

pittguy12
10-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Would be interested to see this if it could be worked out. Great idea.

The artillery guys might get jealous though and want to see what grape shot could do to those cannon silhouettes!

ian45662
10-07-2013, 04:52 PM
I like it!!

John Wells 3rd US
10-08-2013, 01:31 PM
I recommended 50 and 100 YD because they are more realistic combat ranges for buck and ball. I don't think we should clean the targets in the first two shots!! Also probably don't want more than 6 guys(???) per squad for the same reason. Loads need to be "authentic". NO BIRD SHOT!!

So who do we approach with this idea?? (or do "THEY" monitor us like the NSA?)

And yes, a canister demo would be a natural follow-up!! (artillery guy here!!!)

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
10-08-2013, 01:55 PM
John,

Write up your proposal, and get it to your regional commander for BOD consideration.

Give us some idea on how the cartridges will be prepared using buck and ball.

And THEY keep an eye on you !! ;)

Bruce Cobb 1723V
10-08-2013, 02:15 PM
I heard John Holland was doing this at a regional this summer. Contact him

Maillemaker
10-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Give us some idea on how the cartridges will be prepared using buck and ball.

This might be a bit of a trick. Historical buck and ball cartridges were paper, with the balls bound together by string. As I recall, when loaded, you tore off the tail of the cartridge, dumped the paper in, and then put the rest of the cartridge down the barrel, paper and all. This is unlike the expanding ball cartridges where the bullet was removed from the paper. It will be hard to replicate this with the prohibition of paper going down the barrel.

That said, I think it would be really cool to use "issued" ammo. Of course, you may have to teach shooters how to use it.

Images from here:
http://www.cartridgetubes.com/Live_Fire.html

http://www.cartridgetubes.com/images/903cc13ea78a60c014abc2281ec6759f_rclj.png

Dispersal at 10 yards:
http://www.cartridgetubes.com/images/f766b0ff5f43c64245c9b064fd03622d_4thm_bd0o.png

Steve

jonk
10-08-2013, 05:07 PM
In terms of loading procedure and legality, while paper is prohibited (yet somehow permitted with Sharps and Starrs and the like as part of the cartridge- don't ask me), foil is permitted. I see no reason why one couldn't either duplicate the original cartridge with aluminum foil, tear off the base, pour in the powder, then stuff the rest down as historically was the case; alternatively, use of a .58 tube to hold the powder, with the whole thing wrapped in foil (some guys do this for matches) with the buck and ball contained in its own foil wrapped portion at the end would be fine too. Rip off the base, pour out the powder, rip off the foil package at the other end, and ram her home.

Would be great fun.

I agree, 50 and 100 yards would be more authentic; if so, a 100 yard target of floor tile size would be most welcome- say 8-10" square? Standard 25 yard targets set up at 50.

While historically soldiers often got mad if they were issued a smoothbore, I for one would have preferred it for the ranges that most Civil War combat occurred at. While a rifle musket would be preferred for ranges over 100 yards, inside 100 yards the multiple projectiles of the buck and ball load would have proved utterly devastating.

John Wells 3rd US
10-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Pre-wrap ball and buckshot in it's own "twist" of foil. Pre-measured charges in separate tubes. Pour powder, then ram foil "package" down on top. Balls don't roll out when shouldering musket, no extra foil laying in the breech to be wormed out (or light your eyebrows!!) between shots.

RaiderANV
10-09-2013, 12:06 AM
We don't put paper down the barrel so we won't have embers waiting the next powder charge burning 9 out of ten hands. When watching folks load nearly everyone dumps powder by tipping cartridge up hand going over barrel.