PDA

View Full Version : Starr carbines on the line?

S.Sullivan
05-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I no longer can skirmish, but had a question for those of you that do.
Have there been Starrs on the carbine firing line?
As I am unaware of a repro Starr in .54 caliber, any active Starrs would have to be originals, mayhaps.
In wartime ordnance trials the Starr did well, have they been used in N-SSA competition?
By the way, Raiders from the Army of Northern Virginia need not reply nor comment.
S.Sullivan

Richard Hill
05-05-2009, 06:57 PM
There have been rumors of a repop Starr, but nothing has ever appeared. The original Starr is a fine shooter if the breech end is in good shape. Use a Sharps-type bullet with the middle band a snug fit in the rifling and the rear band a couple thousandths over groove diameter. I use a Rapine .544 ringtail in mine, run through a .546 sizer, and 42 grains of 2F in a 1 3/8” long paper cartridge. The sealing ring on mine is in very good shape and I use no gasket of any type; however, that may change as I intend to do some experimenting after Nationals with an early Starr I have been given to try and fix. It has a worn and gas-cut sealing ring and a worn annular groove. I used a brass wire ring as a spacer in the bottom of the annular groove and a rubber O-ring over that to seal it. Works good but doesn’t last very long.

Lou Lou Lou
05-05-2009, 07:13 PM
About 10 years ago we had a fella shot a Starr. At the time he was damn good, so was the Starr.

Edwin Flint, 8427
05-05-2009, 07:14 PM
I have seen Richard on the line and the Starr he shoots works great! Usually, it is easier to count his misses than hits, I don't have to take off my shoes. :wink: :lol: Richard consistently shoots well with it.

I noticed that I would have to hold it a little different than other carbines because of the shape of the Stock. After you learn that adjustment as Richard has, He can beat or match a Sharps, Smith and yes even Pat's beloved Maynard's. :) :shock:

Now PAT, don't go ballistic. :P Just cause you weren't up to the task of shooting a Starr, don't blaim the gun. :P

Edit: 5/7

Pat, you know you want to comment, don't hold back. Steve tell him its okay! :)

Southron Sr.
05-27-2009, 05:22 PM
The Rifle Shoppe was advertising in my copy of their catalog (mine is sevral years old) that they were making up or had the moulds to cast all the parts of a Starr Carbine using the investment casting process.

If and when the Starr parts are available, a machinist could use them (along with a barrel, stock, etc) to make a repro Starr Carbine.

My experience has been that it takes The Rifle Shoppe approximately a year to deliver the parts you order from them. So, if you have your heart on making up a Starr Carbine from the parts supplied by this vendor, Ya' gonna have to have a lot of patience!

RaiderANV
05-28-2009, 11:58 PM
I noticed that I would have After you learn that adjustment as Richard has, He can beat or match a Sharps, Smith and yes even Pat's beloved Maynard's. :) :shock:

Now PAT, don't go ballistic. :P Just cause you weren't up to the task of shooting a Starr, don't blaim the gun. :P

Edit: 5/7

Pat, you know you want to comment, don't hold back. Steve tell him its okay! :)

OK,,,,,now GOD has added you to his list right under Timmy Lyme's name!!

Just plain sacrilegious I tells ya :shock: Sumthin ye be expectin' outta dang yankees :!:

Last starr I saw someone shoot caught their coat sleev on fire. Gotta admit I did laugh. :lol: