PDA

View Full Version : Ramshorn Model. II Maynard?

Jud96
09-25-2013, 08:38 PM
I'm wanting to get some input on the Ramshorn Model. II Maynard. We are thinking of getting my little brother a Maynard and start him shooting early so when its time for him to start skirmishing he's all ready and falls right in at home "on the line. " Any experience or help is much appreciated! Thanks

Paul L
09-27-2013, 01:40 PM
Hi Jud,

How old is your brother? I don't have any experience with a Ramshorn Maynard, but I started my 13 year old out with an original Maynard Model 2. This worked out very well, since it is light, easy to handle and easy to load. I used a relatively light charge....20gr 3f, and filler. Works like a champ!

Paul
15th Virginia Cavalry

Jud96
09-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Hi Jud,

How old is your brother? I don't have any experience with a Ramshorn Maynard, but I started my 13 year old out with an original Maynard Model 2. This worked out very well, since it is light, easy to handle and easy to load. I used a relatively light charge....20gr 3f, and filler. Works like a champ!

Paul
15th Virginia Cavalry

My brother is only 12 and we are wanting to get him a Maynard for he same reasons you got your boy one. They're handy, accurate, easy to load for, and parts and shooting equipment is easy to get for them. Not set on a load yet since we haven't messed with a Maynard yet but our teammate shoots 23grs of 3F so we'll probably shoot between 20-25grs. Thanks

RaiderANV
09-27-2013, 10:05 PM
At 13 I guessya can't go wrong with a ramshorn. That said, yer not going to hold yer own on any competitive team with it. I've played with better then twenty of them and three timew that with harpers fairies and never been nearly satisfied with accuracy results. If its the price that attractive, get it for him.....he can learn shooting and safety with it then dump it on a reenactor and buy him the real deal later.

Jud96
09-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Raider, what do you figure causes the accuracy problems?

RaiderANV
09-28-2013, 03:51 AM
Well,,,,,,like taking ah Volkswagen to ah road rally. Quality, rifling,,,,,,D) All The Above.
You get what you pay for.
In all fairness it was only intended for reenactors and came with a smoothbore barrel. Then someone got the brilliant notion if they rifling it,,,,,it would shoot. Thinking large quantities of alcohol were involved.

Dheisey#7003
10-07-2013, 03:54 PM
I own one and it shoots well. It has a Hoyt barrel though. Since t he owner of the company died last year, I doubt that there will be any more made. But I don't know for sure.