PDA

View Full Version : Gallagher Help

apstek
09-21-2013, 04:00 PM
I acquired recently an Erma Gallagher that was relined by Hoyt to .50 caliber. I have loaded about 60 full capacity brass with 28 grains of powder and am using Navy Arms percussion caps. I have found that it takes two caps for me to get ignition and I then get a hang fire on the second cap. The torch hole/channel is clear of any obstructions. I have read that this is a typical problem with the Gallagher. What do I do in order to get around this problem? Do I need hotter caps, if so what kind? Am I using too small of a powder charge? Or do I use a filler?
Thanks for the help,
Aaron

Lou Lou Lou
09-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Usually you need hotter caps. Many folks swore by the wingless, but they have been used up. Good Luck.

Jud96
09-21-2013, 04:36 PM
I shoot an Erma Gallager and mine does just fine with winged RWS caps. When you clean the flash channel, any solvent has to be dried up and there can't be any liquid at all in the channel. You must keep the firing channel dry before and after cleaning it!

apstek
09-21-2013, 05:03 PM
The flash channel is dry and clean. Are there varying hotness of RWS caps? Who is the best supplier at this point? Typically I would pick them up at the Fort but I won't be there anytime soon.
Thanks again,
Aaron

Jud96
09-21-2013, 05:20 PM
The flash channel is dry and clean. Are there varying hotness of RWS caps? Who is the best supplier at this point? Typically I would pick them up at the Fort but I won't be there anytime soon.
Thanks again,
Aaron
Do you clean your casings after shooting them every time? You have to make sure the flash holes are clear on your casing. And no I don't believe there's any difference in hotness between wingless and winged RWS caps. I buy mine from Back Creek Gunshop or any of the sutlers in the Fort. I don't know of any place outside of the N-SSA that sells RWS caps as cheaply or in such quantities available as they do at the Fort.

RaiderANV
09-21-2013, 05:44 PM
I'll trade ya German caps for yer prehistoric Navy Arms. Maynards are picky! =}
I'll send them out with your dad when he goes. Let me know when he's going though!

apstek
09-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Done. I think I saw a website that wanted $89 + $27 for hazmat shipping. NO thanks!

apstek
10-06-2013, 06:37 PM
So I found a few of the German caps and took the Gallagher out to the range. No dice. I was experiencing the same problem and actually the German caps required three for ignition. I have noticed that it does not take much effort to pull the hammer back. If the main spring is weak, could that allow the hammer to lift up upon detonation of the cap, therefore allow some of the flame and pressure to escape? What other thoughts do you guys have?
Thanks again,
Aaron

R Filbert
10-06-2013, 09:18 PM
You say you have full cap brass and the carbine wont go off? If you are only using 28 grns of powder are you using filler? You need to keep air space out of the tubes as this can cause ignition problems - Loose powder is harder to ignite and is not good in black guns I've had several Gallagher's and had no problems with them if the flash holes are open - A full cap tube will hold near 50 grns O powder.

apstek
10-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Do you guys think I need to increase powder charge too? Go with maybe 34 and use a filler? What is the best filler to use, corn meal?