PDA

View Full Version : Maynard Model. I

Jud96
09-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Hello guys. Recently I've really been interested in the Model. I Maynard. I'm looking to see what you Model. I Maynard shooters prefer when it comes to barrel length, caliber, and your preferred load. I'd also like to understand why you prefer your caliber of choice and why you use either the 20" or 26" barrel. Lastly I'd like to ask if anyone knows the diameter of the peep in the Model. I's tang sight. Thanks.

Rob FreemanWBR
09-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Jud,

I have an original Mod 1, w/repo 26 inch barrel (the original barrel is kept in a safe place).

It shoots a 360 grain bullet, cast from a 3 cavity mold made & sold by Mike Oziak. I prefer this sized round as it does very well at both 50 & 100, and given it's size/weight it isn't affected as much due to cross winds as compared to smaller, lighter projectile variants (it's also very effective when impacting on breakable targets).

Rounds are sized via Lubrisizer to .518 Cal

Reduced capacity brass, holding a 23gr 3F Goex charge.

She performs VERY well, thanks in part to the large sight radius that the M-1 offers via it's tang sight.

If/when you get your hands on one, you won't regret it - esp. after you get it all worked up/fine-tuned!!

Hope this info is of some use! Unfortunately I can't help on the diamater of the rear tang's peep (I've never bothered to measure it).

Jud96
09-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Jud,

I have an original Mod 1, w/repo 26 inch barrel (the original barrel is kept in a safe place).

It shoots a 360 grain bullet, cast from a 3 cavity mold made & sold by Mike Oziak. I prefer this sized round as it does very well at both 50 & 100, and given it's size/weight it isn't affected as much due to cross winds as compared to smaller, lighter projectile variants (it's also very effective when impacting on breakable targets).

Rounds are sized via Lubrisizer to .518 Cal

Reduced capacity brass, holding a 23gr 3F Goex charge.

She performs VERY well, thanks in part to the large sight radius that the M-1 offers via it's tang sight.

If/when you get your hands on one, you won't regret it - esp. after you get it all worked up/fine-tuned!!

Hope this info is of some use! Unfortunately I can't help on the diamater of the rear tang's peep (I've never bothered to measure it).

Thanks! Great info Rob! May I ask, have you ever experimented with the .36cal chambering? Also who makes your repro .50cal barrel? Thanks

RaiderANV
09-21-2013, 05:57 PM
I had both .50&.36 repro barrels made by Larry Romano AND FITTED to my gun. Both were capable of shooting one hole groups. Shot 3f Goes 21 grains in the .50 cal and 17 in the .36.
A lot of people have a hard time shooting the Maynard as it's so lite. No wood makes for a hot barrel so a leather glove in warm weather or shooting with a team that goes full time every event. The .36 is a heavier barrel which helps most people and it takes a lot longer to get hot on you. .36 has its problems in strong cross winds but learn yer gun and Kentucky windage works great.
Both barrels were 26" for the longer site radius.

SHOULDER BOTH AND GO WITH WHAT FITS YOU BEST. Then learn to shoot it.

John Bly also makew awesome barrels.

As to the rear peep site......make it as small as you want then open it up a tad more if you can't see.

Rob FreemanWBR
09-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Jud,

I've never experimented with the .36 cal barrel. I have one, but I've heard from reliable sources that the smaller .36 round sometimes only punches a hole in breakable targets, such as clay pigeons. Given that lighter weight projectiles can be more susceptible to cross winds, AND at times they only "wound" breakable targets, I've only used .50 cal rounds with great results.

Unfortunately I can't be of any help in directing you to any makers of repo .50 cal barrels. I inherited My M-1 and its associated barrels from my late father.

I'm certain that other fellow skirmishers can help out & point you in the right direction, esp. by responding to your thread!

Jud96
09-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks a lot guys! Raider, how many grains can you fit into a full capacity .36cal casing? Also, are the .50cal and .36cal cases the same length?
Thanks for the additional help Rob! I have heard about the .36 punching through clays before but I'd have to see it first before I believe it haha!

RaiderANV
09-21-2013, 06:51 PM
.36 is longer then .50 and I've never filled the cases to see what it'll hold.
I have on a rare occasion seen a .36 punch a hole but only on the pigeon board. With birds turned orange side out you'll see it.
.36 uses a lot less power and lead and holds better for many that like the weight.
I always shot a .50 just because I had so many in that caliber and 100's of cases.

Jud96
09-21-2013, 07:16 PM
.36 is longer then .50 and I've never filled the cases to see what it'll hold.
I have on a rare occasion seen a .36 punch a hole but only on the pigeon board. With birds turned orange side out you'll see it.
.36 uses a lot less power and lead and holds better for many that like the weight.
I always shot a .50 just because I had so many in that caliber and 100's of cases.

The reason I asked about the powder capacity of the .36 casing is because I would think a light .36cal bullet with a stout charge, say 35grs, would be high velocity and should zip right through any wind at 100yds. And I understand why you shoot a .50cal haha, can't let a few hundred casings just sit around!

Mike McDaniel
09-21-2013, 08:40 PM
IIRC, Larry Brockmiller favors the .36, for precisely that reason.

I'm currently shooting a .50 caliber Romano, but have picked up a used .36 to experiment with. The .50 definitely likes a heavy charge - I'm using 35 grains of Goex 3F. But it's remarkably accurate.

Jud96
09-22-2013, 10:11 AM
IIRC, Larry Brockmiller favors the .36, for precisely that reason.

I'm currently shooting a .50 caliber Romano, but have picked up a used .36 to experiment with. The .50 definitely likes a heavy charge - I'm using 35 grains of Goex 3F. But it's remarkably accurate.

Thanks for the info Mike. Hope to hear how your experiments turn out with the .36cal. Thanks.

John Maderious
09-22-2013, 06:48 PM
I have been shooting a Romano .36, Owsiak bullet, hard lead, for about 7 years. It gets the same small groups using 9-22 gr of 3f goex. 22 gr fills my cases. I shoot the 22 gr just because I like to get the bullet out of the barrel. Wind does not seem to affect it. The .36 does sometimes, but rarely, pass through a bird without breaking it. It does OFTEN go through wood blocks or bottles without blowing them apart, to the point I don't shoot it at those targets at regionals.
The small holes do require a very good scope to see them at 100 particularly in bad weather.
John Maderious WBR

Jud96
09-22-2013, 08:26 PM
I have been shooting a Romano .36, Owsiak bullet, hard lead, for about 7 years. It gets the same small groups using 9-22 gr of 3f goex. 22 gr fills my cases. I shoot the 22 gr just because I like to get the bullet out of the barrel. Wind does not seem to affect it. The .36 does sometimes, but rarely, pass through a bird without breaking it. It does OFTEN go through wood blocks or bottles without blowing them apart, to the point I don't shoot it at those targets at regionals.
The small holes do require a very good scope to see them at 100 particularly in bad weather.
John Maderious WBR

Thanks for all the great information John! Wow, I'm surpized 9grs even pushed the ball out of the barrel haha. Are your casings reduced or full capacity, and where did you buy them? Also, could you possibly post a picture of your bullet, I'm not familiar with Mike's .36cal slug.
I'm surpized those .36s just pass through a block or bottle! What do you shoot the water bottles and blocks with at regionals? Thanks.

John Bly
09-23-2013, 09:20 AM
I've been assembling and selling Maynard barrels for 10 years and the most popular 1st Mod barrel is the .50 caliber x 26" long. 80% of sales have been 26" long and 75% of those have been .50 caliber. 20% have been 20" long .50 caliber and most buyers say they want these for the quicker handling qualities. I've never sold a 20" .36 caliber. I've had one inquiry in ten years. I told him it would be delayed because it's not approved and I would have to make it up and submit it for approval. He did not go for it.

Feedback from the .36 caliber shooters is that they are pleased with theirs. They are heavier and hold well. I shoot a 26" .50 caliber barrel myself.

I get the rifled blanks from Hoyt and assemble them onto a machined monobloc stub about 4" long with the lugs machined integral with the stub. The stubs are chrome-moly steel and commercially heat treated for toughness after machining.

Jud96
09-23-2013, 05:02 PM
I've been assembling and selling Maynard barrels for 10 years and the most popular 1st Mod barrel is the .50 caliber x 26" long. 80% of sales have been 26" long and 75% of those have been .50 caliber. 20% have been 20" long .50 caliber and most buyers say they want these for the quicker handling qualities. I've never sold a 20" .36 caliber. I've had one inquiry in ten years. I told him it would be delayed because it's not approved and I would have to make it up and submit it for approval. He did not go for it.

Feedback from the .36 caliber shooters is that they are pleased with theirs. They are heavier and hold well. I shoot a 26" .50 caliber barrel myself.

I get the rifled blanks from Hoyt and assemble them onto a machined monobloc stub about 4" long with the lugs machined integral with the stub. The stubs are chrome-moly steel and commercially heat treated for toughness after machining.
Thanks Mr. Bly! A lot of great info! I have some questions though about why the 20" .36cal barrels are not approved. I did some some research and found that the South ordered 1,330 Maynard Model. I's in .35cal (.36cal) with 20" barrels. Shouldn't this be enough info to allow these firearms to be approved? I didn't find any orders that contained 26" barreled Model. I's in .36cal but this barrel is approved. You can read all about the Model. I Maynard here at the link below. Thanks
http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/civil-war/Maynard-gun.pdf

Jim Wimbish, 10395
09-23-2013, 05:45 PM
I have shot both 36 and 50 cal 1st Model Maynards for years. For the 50 cal, I use 26 grains of 3f Goex in a reduced capacity case with a Lyman 350 grain bullet. Never had any use for loads lighter than this. For the 36, I have used both a Owsiak and a Romano mould over 25 grains of Goex 3f with equally good results. Soft lead works well for me in both calibers. The recommendation for the 25 grain 3f Goex load for the 36 caliber Maynard came from Larry Romano. It works great and I have never felt the need to even try another load with this gun. As for the aperture diameter on the rear slght, I measured the repro sight aperture at .050" and the original sight at about .045". The original gun measured was a 50 cal. 1st Model with a 20 inch barrel purchased by the state of Georgia before the War. I lhave been very satisfied with the .050" aperture on the repro Maynard as I have always been able to see my sights even under the dark conditions we get at Fort Shenandoah when the rain clouds come in.

Jud96
09-23-2013, 06:19 PM
I have shot both 36 and 50 cal 1st Model Maynards for years. For the 50 cal, I use 26 grains of 3f Goex in a reduced capacity case with a Lyman 350 grain bullet. Never had any use for loads lighter than this. For the 36, I have used both a Owsiak and a Romano mould over 25 grains of Goex 3f with equally good results. Soft lead works well for me in both calibers. The recommendation for the 25 grain 3f Goex load for the 36 caliber Maynard came from Larry Romano. It works great and I have never felt the need to even try another load with this gun. As for the aperture diameter on the rear slght, I measured the repro sight aperture at .050" and the original sight at about .045". The original gun measured was a 50 cal. 1st Model with a 20 inch barrel purchased by the state of Georgia before the War. I lhave been very satisfied with the .050" aperture on the repro Maynard as I have always been able to see my sights even under the dark conditions we get at Fort Shenandoah when the rain clouds come in.

Thanks a lot Jim! Finally found out how big the Model. I's peep is! I wasn't sure if the aperture was large or small. I have never had the chance to shoulder and aim a Model. I before. Do you know how much the Owsiak bullet weighs? Sounds like you have great success with your Model. I. Which do you perfer, the .50cal or .36cal? Also, do you shoot your original Model. I? Thanks

Jim Wimbish, 10395
09-23-2013, 06:57 PM
The Owsiak bullet for the 36 weighs about 215 grains. I prefer shooting the 36 caliber 1st Model because it has a heavier barrel and holds better for me. I shoot my original 1st Model only on rare occasions because it is an ID'ed Confederate carbine. It belonged to Captain O. C. Hopkins of the McIntosh Light Dragoons, Fifth Ga. Cavalry. I had John Bly make a barrel for it as the original barrel needed crowning.

Jud96
09-23-2013, 08:31 PM
The Owsiak bullet for the 36 weighs about 215 grains. I prefer shooting the 36 caliber 1st Model because it has a heavier barrel and holds better for me. I shoot my original 1st Model only on rare occasions because it is an ID'ed Confederate carbine. It belonged to Captain O. C. Hopkins of the McIntosh Light Dragoons, Fifth Ga. Cavalry. I had John Bly make a barrel for it as the original barrel needed crowning.

Good information!! I've heard from a couple guys that they perfer the heavier weight of the .36 barrel. That original Maynard sounds like an awesome piece of histoy! I probably wouldn't shoot a carbine much either with an incredible history like yours! That's amazing that you have a carbine that is ID'd to a Confederate Captain! Its even cooler that it's a Maynard Model. I .50cal with a 20" barrel, just one of those carbines that weren't highly produced and wasn't so common. Thanks for sharing that awesome information Mr. Wimbish!

Jim Wimbish, 10395
09-23-2013, 10:25 PM
The standard configuration for the Georgia purchased 1st Model Maynards was a 20 inch barrel, tombstone rear sight on the barrel, a tang sight, and a sling ring on the lower tang. There is documentation on-line on Captain Hopkins. He went by 'O C' because his given name was Octavius Caesar. He lived on a plantation in McIntosh County, Georgia on the coast. He spent most of the War on the coast engaging Union gun boats. When Sherman marched on Atlanta, his unit was called upon to help defend Atlanta. At the Battle of Noonday Church in the middle of 1864 he was badly wounded and returned home to recover. He was never able to return to service and a lieutenant took command of the company for the remainder of the War

John Bly
09-24-2013, 09:01 AM
An original .36 caliber barrel x 20" on a 1st Mod would be an approved configuration. I have never submitted one for approval as I've had one inquiry in 10 years. I did not see the need to go through the process if There is no sales potential. I'm sure it would be approved if I were to submit one.

Most shooters prefer the longer barrel for the sighting advantage. Those short barreled carbines can be most unforgiving unless the shooter is very consistent and does everything right.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
09-24-2013, 11:07 AM
In days of yor, I always attended the Muzzle Loaders Festival. Like many in the MW and NWT this is where I found out about the N-SSA. Anyway, I was on the line shooting and heard this CRACK!!! next to me. Here was this guy shooting a original 1st model, 37 caliber, long barrel. I'm telling you it sounded like a high power going off. There is reason for those legends about Rebs shooting them through mountains and finding their victim.

RaiderANV
09-24-2013, 01:03 PM
From the Oxford (Miss.) Intelligencer.

Toby's Experience with a Breech-Loading Rifle.

Toby is a high private in the first regiment of the Mississippi army. His company is armed with a breech-loading Maynard rifle, warranted to shoot twelve times a minute, and carry a ball effectually 1600 yards. Men who fought at Monterey and Buena Vista called the new-fangled thing a "pop-gun." To test its efficacy, Toby's Captain told the men they must "try their guns."

In obedience to command, Toby procured the necessary munitions of war and started with his "pop gun" for the woods; saws a squirrel up a very high tree; took aim; fired—effects of shot immediate and wonderful; tree effectually stripped, and nothing of the squirrel to be found except three broken hairs; "pop-gun" rose in value; equal to a four-pounder. But Toby wouldn't shoot towards any more trees, afraid of being arrested for cutting down other people's timber; walked a mile and a quarter to get sight of hill; by aid of a small telescope saw hill in the distance; saw large rock on hill; put in a big load; shut both eyes—fired.

As soon as breath returned opened both eyes; could see, just could, but couldn't hear—at least couldn't distinguish any sounds; thought Niagara had broken loose, or all out-doors gone to drum beating; determined to see if shot hit; borrowed horse and started towards hill; after traveling two days and nights reached place; saw setting sun shining through hill; knew right away that was where his shot hit; went close; stumbled over rocky fragment scattered for half a mile in line of bullet; come to hole; knew the bullet hit there, because saw led on the edges; walked in and walked through; saw teamster on the other side "indulging in profane language"—in fact, "cussin' considerable" because lightning had killed his team; looked as finger directed; saw six dead oxen in line with hole through mountain; knew that was the bullet's work, but didn't say so to angry teamster; thought best to be leaving; in consequence didn't explore path of bullet any further; therefore don't know where it stopped; don't know whether it stopped at all—in fact, rather think it didn't; mounted horse; rode back through the hole made by the bullet; but never told Captain a word about it; to tell the truth, was rather afraid he'd think it a hoax.

"It's a right big story, boys," said Toby, in conclusion, "but it's true, sure as shooting. Nothing to do with Maynard rifle but load her up, turn her North, and pull trigger; if twenty of them don't clean out all Yankeedom, then I'm a liar, that's all."

John Holland
09-24-2013, 08:10 PM
From the Approved Arms List, available online:

Maynard Carbine, Model 1

Barrels
1)John D. Bly (marked JDB), .50 caliber (20” and 26” length)

2) John D. Bly, .36 cal. (20” and 26” length) Marked “JDB”

Jud96
09-24-2013, 08:43 PM
The standard configuration for the Georgia purchased 1st Model Maynards was a 20 inch barrel, tombstone rear sight on the barrel, a tang sight, and a sling ring on the lower tang. There is documentation on-line on Captain Hopkins. He went by 'O C' because his given name was Octavius Caesar. He lived on a plantation in McIntosh County, Georgia on the coast. He spent most of the War on the coast engaging Union gun boats. When Sherman marched on Atlanta, his unit was called upon to help defend Atlanta. At the Battle of Noonday Church in the middle of 1864 he was badly wounded and returned home to recover. He was never able to return to service and a lieutenant took command of the company for the remainder of the War

Wow what a great bit of information on Captain Hopkins! It's amazing that you have his carbine and know all the information on Captain Hopkins and his unit! Thank you very much for sharing this.

Jud96
09-24-2013, 08:46 PM
From the Approved Arms List, available online:

Maynard Carbine, Model 1

Barrels
1)John D. Bly (marked JDB), .50 caliber (20” and 26” length)

2) John D. Bly, .36 cal. (20” and 26” length) Marked “JDB”

Thanks for this information Mr. Holland!