PDA

View Full Version : Recommended loads - M1842 Smoothbore Musket

Artilleryman
09-12-2013, 01:28 PM
In the next few weeks, I'll be acquiring an M1842 Smoothbore Musket. I've shot a Rifle-Musket (M1861 Contract) for many years, but am a little unsure about what to use in the M1842 Smoothbore. I've considered purchasing several diameters of round ball to see which diameter works the best, then get a mould in that diameter. I am unsure of what diameter ball works best and what load of powder to use.

Thanks guys.

Dave

xring2245
05-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Try a .678" roundball with about 50 gr. 3F. Yes, that's FFFg. See how that shoots for you. You can fine tune the powder charge.

MR. GADGET
05-22-2014, 11:33 AM
I'm shooting a Lyman 678 that has been decked and run it on a file a little pushed with 84 grns F F, then dipped in 50/50 bee's wax and EVOO.

devisser
11-22-2015, 09:44 AM
I use the Lyman .678 mold and roll the ball between two 3/8" glass plates (after filing the spur). This give me a nice round ball. I dip the ball into a mixture of 90% beeswax and 10% motor oil. This give me a hard lub that does not come off when handling or pushing into the plastic tubes. I load with 72 grains of Geox 2F. However because of the lub sealing a tight fit, the hammer must be position at half-cock to allow for escaping air as the ball is pushed into the barrel. (using 2F powder does not blow through the nipple).
This load works great and you can use the same pattern for both the 25 yd and 50 yd targets. (not bad for even 75 yd, but the pattern does open up.) The musket is the standard Armsport Model 1842. This load is not unpleasant to shoot and is equal to a 12ga shotgun.

John Holland
11-22-2015, 11:00 AM
Just a reminder to Skirmishers, the hammer must be kept down on the last cap fired during the loading procedure for the next round.

Maillemaker
11-22-2015, 05:32 PM
I shoot a stock Armisport 1842 with a bedded barrel.

It came with an RCBS .678 mold, so that is what I use. I cast using wheel weight lead, and trim the sprue using a Mike Rouche sprue cutter. I then roll the balls between two files. I then triple-dip them in Lee Alox. I shoot them using 70 grains 3F Goex. Group started to tighten up at 55 grains, but 70 produced the best group for me.

I know others who shoot better than me with a smaller diameter ball.

Here is my article on making a cheap ball rolling fixture:

http://4thla.weebly.com/ball-rolling-fixture.html

Here are my sight-in targets for load workup with my Armisport 1842:

http://imgur.com/a/5TFG3

This was off a bench.

Steve

jonk
11-24-2015, 12:18 AM
I have 3 smoothbores and all find happiness between 45 and 50 gr of goex 3f.

I went the dipping in alox routine for awhile, but discovered that dipping the ball in musket lube instead lets me fire 20 rounds or more without the bore coking up, and easier cleaning after. No difference in accuracy for me.

I don't remove sprues, and have had one embarrassing incident with needing to blow out a stuck round where the ball turned sideways to prove it. It's worthwhile doing that I think, and hopefully for the next season I will.

I never felt the need to dimple my balls. If I shoot the guns from a bench they will all stay in the 10 ring using scrap lead of whatever hardness (ww or range pick up) but if you want to increase your diameter slightly, it's a good way to go.

You getting an original or repro?

terrydull
11-24-2015, 03:04 PM
I shoot a stock Armisport 1842 with a bedded barrel.

It came with an RCBS .678 mold, so that is what I use. I cast using wheel weight lead, and trim the sprue using a Mike Rouche sprue cutter. I then roll the balls between two files. I then triple-dip them in Lee Alox. I shoot them using 70 grains 3F Goex. Group started to tighten up at 55 grains, but 70 produced the best group for me.

Steve

Same for me ...

but I'm liking this idea because alox gets so gummy .... "but discovered that dipping the ball in musket lube instead lets me fire 20 rounds or more without the bore coking up, and easier cleaning after. No difference in accuracy for me."

Maillemaker
11-24-2015, 04:32 PM
How do you guys who use regular lube on your balls deal with the runny slippery mess stuck in a tube?

Do you use wax paper or something to keep the lube off the powder?

Steve

MR. GADGET
11-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Just pinch the tube and it pops out.
no problems for me.