PDA

View Full Version : Resizing Maynards

Eggman
09-11-2013, 01:00 PM
I recall a while back the Blues commander, Komodore Kowdoc, was grousing about how to resize a Marnard case - you know with that big base that doesn't fit anything. Here's how I do it.
I use the resizing die/primer poker from a .50/70 Lyman die set. I remove the entire top which includes the primer poker (RCBS top will not come off). I lube the case, whack it in with a mallet. and then use the 11/32 priming rod from one of the little handy Lee sets to whack it out. Perfect fit for my Hoyt lined Maynard

stevierayvaughn
09-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Both Larry Romano and Loodgewood sell a resizing/seating tool and I am sure others as well. You place a bullet in the bottom followed by brass filled with powder, place seater in top and gently smack with a mallet a couple of times. Sized, seated and any OAL you want. Around $40 new.

SRV

Chris Sweeney
09-11-2013, 04:22 PM
A 56/50 die works . . . .

marv762
09-11-2013, 05:21 PM
you use a .577 Snider shell holder. and a sizing die. i purchased a sizing die years back that looks like a push through sizer for minnies. works great. i use it in a drill press with a piece of brass to push the tubes in and out. Jerry Stone was were i bought it from. a friend had some one make one for him from mine.

RaiderANV
09-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Ohhh Maynard topic!

I use a Lee hand press, a custom made shell holder from Dan Whitacre, and a standard 50/70 case sizing die. Ah tad of Balistol or wd-40 between my finger and jus roll every third or fouth case between fingers puts ah lil oil on it and right into shell holder and press.
On course you could use a regular stationary loading press. I carry mine to Nationals as someone(s) is always asking to get their cases sized. It's something ya do every 10-15 rounds at best in a good chamber.

Rich Foster
09-11-2013, 07:32 PM
I just push the bullet in with my thumb. Then wipe off excess lube done! A .517 sized bullet in a .517 inside dia case easy. Of course you have to get somebody to make you some custom cases. Never had to size a case unless it gets stepped on. I always thought if you had to press a already sized bullet in a tight case you would end up sizing it down some more. Rich