PDA

View Full Version : Best round for 63 Richmond or 64 Springfield

Ray N CW ENT
09-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Looking for a bullet recommendation for the above mentioned muskets? Both are EuroArms reproductions. I have been told both should do fine with the wad cutter type bullet, but I understand that the typical round fired out of these is the Minie style. If this is true, which type is best (better performing results) the old or new style? Also, what charge should I use with it? Thanks in advance.

Gentlemen, thanks for the great feedback here and privately. This will definitely help narrow the experimenting to find what works best on these guns.

Jud96
09-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Use a Lyman .575213 New Style sized .001-.002 under bore with 50grs Goex 2FFg behind it. This exact load has been serving our team with great accuracy and reliability for 30+ years. By the way, have you measured your true bore diameter because this is very important for bullet selection. Some Lyman .575213s throw oversized bullets in the .577 range while others, like mine, throw dead on .575 which is hard to work with if your bore is over .577 in diameter.

ms3635v
09-11-2013, 07:17 AM
2057 2058

A Wilkinson bullet sized .001" under bore size, 40 grains of 3F GOEX. Lube only the bottom band, don't get any lube in the groove between the nose and base of the bullet or the bullet will not compress properly. I use MCM lube and from the bench, my rifle musket will shoot 1 3/4" five-shot groups. The Wilkinson also does very well at 100 yards. The bullet weighs 420 grains.

Chris Sweeney
09-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Experimenting is the only way to know for sure. You might luck out and someone's favorite load might also be perfect for you, but maybe not - I've got 4 Navy Arms Zouaves from the 70's. Each has a favorite load and bullet that is way different from the other: powdwer from 35 to 52 grains, one will only shoot well with 2F, etc. On the other hand, my SN&WTC will shoot nearly any old thing you can fit down the bore to the same point of aim. You pays yer money an' you takes yer chances . . .