PDA

View Full Version : Bench rest gun restore/project

B-Davis
09-10-2013, 07:33 PM
I picked up a bench rest gun about 15 years ago, that is at the bottom of my project list. The weight of the rifle is approx. 16.5 lbs. The barrel is octoganal and the barrel flats measur 9/16 inch across. There are no definitive maker marks anywhere on the rifle. The caliber of the rifle is .42.
I do not remember how many lands and grooves there are in the bore. It was made without a false muzzle. The lock is an English back lock style. The lock and trigger function, but there is also a set trigger, this trigger does not function at the moment, it may just be a small adjustment.
There are no sights on the rifle, but the dovetails and screw holes are not damaged at all. The stock has some age cracks or water damage, I am not sure which. Where the wedge goes, the outside brass furniture is missing, and the wedge is not original. There is a poorly done repair to the stock on the inside where the barrel sits. My recommendation would be to glass bed the stock, fixing and reinforcing the stock.
This is not for the person looking for a collector, this is a project to turn into a shooter. I am looking at building a Parker and Snow, so this rifle is a good starting point to fund the other project.
I would like $425.00 or trade for a good Parker lock or good shooter barrel for a '61. This price includes shipping.
If interested, please PM me your email, and I will send picks.
Sincerely,
Bryan Davis

hp gregory
09-12-2013, 07:01 AM
how long is the barrel. it sounds like a log rifle. hp

B-Davis
09-12-2013, 07:13 AM
I can measure it this evening and let you know.

B-Davis
09-12-2013, 05:18 PM
The barrel length is 27 inches. Now this includes the back of the barrel. There is about an inch thick piece that attaches to the stock separately and the breech of the barrel has a "hook" that latches to this. Does that make sense?
The overall length is 43 inches. What exactly is a log gun?
bryan

Muley Gil
09-12-2013, 08:49 PM
The barrel length is 27 inches. Now this includes the back of the barrel. There is about an inch thick piece that attaches to the stock separately and the breech of the barrel has a "hook" that latches to this. Does that make sense? The overall length is 43 inches. What exactly is a log gun?bryan

That is called a patent breech.

John Holland
09-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Bryan, what is the dimension across the muzzle, from flat to flat?
JDH

B-Davis
09-13-2013, 07:21 AM
If you mean the width of the flats, it is 9/16 of an inch across each flat. I did not actually measure across for the "diameter" of the barrel. If you want, I can measure that tonight.

B-Davis
09-13-2013, 08:50 AM
John,
I measured from flat to flat and the measurement is 1 3/8 across.
I am just curious, does this correlate to anything such as the potential barrel producer? There is also the number "3" stamped on the barrel face where you remove the breech.
Bryan