PDA

View Full Version : Len's lube outstanding!

Hickok
09-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Don't want to start a "lube war" because this just what I found with my individual rifle, bullets, powder, altitude, etc.

Been using SPG, and then tryed some beeswax and olive oil mixed in even ammounts. The beeswax/olive oil did way better than the SPG as to keeping the fowling soft.

PH 1858 2 band Birmingham-made rifle shooting 565 Ph minie using 50 gr. Goex fffg and also 60 gr Goex ffg, benched. This time Len's lube on the Minie. Shot twenty rounds, even number with both powder grades. Last shot loaded as easy as the first! The ramrod would slowly take the minie down the barrel by its own weight. My minies are sized .002" under bore diameter.

Both 50 gr/3f and 60gr./2f shoot to exactly same point of aim, nice tight 5 shots groups @ 50 yards, in fact shot four 5 shots groups and nothing went over 1 3/8". I did get one group with 60 gr. 2f that put 3 shots into the same hole and 2 bullets just ripping the edge of the group, for 1 1/4" final group. I sure was wanting to put those 5 minies into one .60-.75 caliber hole, but shot 4 and then 5 busted my bubble! Excited, but not boasting on my shooting, because I have shot enough to know, the next time out, it may be difficult to shoot a 2 1/2 group at 50 yards. Some days it goes well, other days it doesn't.

I got another surprise when I cleaned the rifle. A couple of patches and Murphys oil soap and water and she was clean. Never had such an easy cleaning job ever shooting blackpowder rifles.

So I am believer in "Len's Lube" in my rifle, as it worked far better than anything I have tryed to date. BUt like I said, this is just my rifle and combination of things, it could different for some one else. I think I could shoot minies all day with this lube, using 2f or 3f.

I finally got everything to work, shooting good and zeroed for 50 and 100. Now if my work situation improves in the near future, I hope to get joined up and get shooting N-SSA events in the spring. Until then I can practice offhand shooting and getting used to the webble- wobbles of shooting off hand.

Rich Foster
09-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Hickok, Ever heard if it ain't broke don't fix it. It goes the same with lube. If lube is working don't change. Glad you found that Lens Lube works for your guns just a reminder don't let your rounds stay in direct heat for a period of time because Lens lube has a reputation of melting off the bullet. Rich

Maillemaker
09-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the report!

Steve

Hickok
09-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Hickok, Ever heard if it ain't broke don't fix it. It goes the same with lube. If lube is working don't change. Glad you found that Lens Lube works for your guns just a reminder don't let your rounds stay in direct heat for a period of time because Lens lube has a reputation of melting off the bullet. RichRich I hear you loud and clear. Im not changing anything. I realize SPG has a good reputation, but my rifle just didn't like it. Hard fowling from the breech for about 5-6 inches up the barrel after just a few shots. A real gritty hard push to seat the bullet those last inches.

I agree the Len's lube seems soft, about like chapstick! These rifle muskets sure are persnickedly.

Hickok
09-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Hickok, Ever heard if it ain't broke don't fix it. It goes the same with lube. If lube is working don't change. Glad you found that Lens Lube works for your guns just a reminder don't let your rounds stay in direct heat for a period of time because Lens lube has a reputation of melting off the bullet. RichRich I hear you loud and clear. Im not changing anything. I realize SPG has a good reputation, but my rifle just didn't like it. Hard fowling from the breech for about 5-6 inches up the barrel after just a few shots. A real gritty hard push to seat the bullet those last inches.

I agree the Len's lube seems soft, about like chapstick! These rifle muskets sure are persnickedly.

Rob FreemanWBR
09-13-2013, 06:52 AM
Hickok,

I too have heard many favorable comments on Len's Lube, and hope to pick some up at the Fall National.

Question - which Suttler sell this product?

Lou Lou Lou
09-13-2013, 07:41 AM
I believe Rebel trading post carries it. That is the big one on the end of the row.

Rob FreemanWBR
09-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Outstanding - many thx Lou!

hp gregory
09-13-2013, 12:49 PM
i use lens lube in everything but smoothbore. revolver, repeater, single shot, carbine, musket. its the very best lube i have ever used. hp

Eggman
09-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Glad to hear your great results, but I think I'll stick with "Dr. Van Ostrum's Gonnorrhea Salve," available from Lodgewood. You can't beat it.
In the meantime you may want to consider joining the lubricant society-- MLSB (Maximus Lubricus Slikum Bullicus) where lube is king.