PDA

View Full Version : Revolver modification

jonk
09-03-2013, 11:14 PM
I have an 1863 Santa Barbara .44 New Army revolver. The gun shoots high and left with the most accurate charge of 24 gr of 3F and .7cc of cornmeal. In a previous post awhile back, it was stated that I could indeed have the gun modified to a dovetail front sight, so long as I staked or otherwise permanently fixed the sight after adjusting it to where I wanted it. And, if that's all that it needs, our team commander and resident gunsmith (and supplier of about half the cleaning rods you see on the line) can certainly do the modification.

However, I got to thinking. If I'm going to play around with this thing, I might as well go whole hog, cast the cylinders, and slug the barrel, have the timing looked at and adjusted if needed, etc. At this time I don't know as I need to have the barrel replaced, it groups pretty well; the question is, who should I entrust this project to, if I go for it? Granted if the cylinder/bore fit measures out to be good and timing is fine (seems to be) it might just be the front sight job, but if I need more done, any recommendations?