PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to say thank you

B-Davis
08-29-2013, 09:04 AM
I just wanted to say thank you for everyone who helped me with my first time project of building a rifled musket from parts. I completed the project last night. There are some pics below. I know it is not perfect, but as this was my first time, I am not going to be too critical of myself. It does meet all the measurements on the spec. sheets. I hope to bring it down to the Fall Nationals (all matters on some family obligations) and have it inspected.
Just incase anybody is confused, this is a Richmond Rifled-Musket Type 1-A, it has a patch box, brass butt plate (unmarked) and brass nose cap. The rest of the furniture is iron. As of this time, there are no marks on the lock plate. I may get the date of 1861 stamped behind the hammer, but I need to find someone who who can properly stamp "Richmond, VA" on the front of the plate.

The stock is a Dunlap stock. The bands, trigger assembly, hammer, lock plate, and external screws are original. The Lock internals are a mix of original and repro parts. (tumbler and 3 internal screws are original) The nose cap and butt are repros. The barrel is a Whitacre barrel and the rear sight is a Rich Cross. The patch box is a repro also.
The stain is a two part home made stain. I took about 2 pounds of black walnut shells and covered them with water and let them sit for about one month. In another clear container from Wal-Mart, I put in a bottle of white distilled vinegar and about four steel wool pads. I put that out in the sun with the lid on only half way (there is a build up of Hydrogen, and you have to let the gas escape) and let it sit for about a month also. When I was ready, I strained out the walnut shells and kept the water (that was the first stain). I took a paint brush and painted that onto the stock and let it dry. I then took the vinegar mixture and strained that into another container. I took that liquid and brushed it onto the stock. I waited about six hours for the stock to dry, and this was the result! There is only one coat of Linseed oil on now, I will put on a couple more coats over the following days.
As I said, this was my first project, I know it may not be perfect, but I do like it. I can't wait to go to the range tomorrow and shoot it!

Bryan Davis

Maillemaker
08-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Not bad looking to me!

Steve