PDA

View Full Version : Single Shot Pistol Match

John Holland
08-29-2013, 07:56 AM
To those of you who may be interested in participating in this newly created and very challenging pistol match please be advised that this match is governed by the same rules as the other N-SSA competitive matches. Please read Sections 14.1 and 14.8.4 of the N-SSA's Rules.

John Holland
Chairman, Small Arms Committee

Fauch125
08-29-2013, 09:24 AM
Found out about the addition of single shot too late to purchase a target. Will have to check it out in the spring.

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
08-29-2013, 10:39 AM
The Single Shot match will not be part of the National official program until the Spring of 2014.

http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/showthread.php/7792-August-BOD-Meeting-Highlights

John Holland
08-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Here are a couple tips I've learned over the years regarding U.S. Horse Pistols:

The 1836 models will frequently have the interior lock screws broken.

The 1842 models will usually have nearly everything inside the lock either broken or cracked!

If you are looking to buy one have the dealer/owner remove the lock for your inspection.

JDH

MR. GADGET
08-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Are there any repop guns out there that meet the rules?

bilge water bob
08-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Personally, I can't wait! I have a 1836 and an Ames 1842.
Sawed off shoothbores................what's the distance to the target?
10 or 12 feet I hope

Mike McDaniel
08-29-2013, 07:17 PM
We do need some sort of list of acceptable arms - particularly the foreign guns.

WRT repros, I know there's a Pedersoli Harper's Ferry flint pistol. Don't think there is anything in percussion. I would recommend not requiring a flash shield for flintlocks - the blast panels between the positions on the pistol range serve the same function better.

John Holland
08-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Single Shot Smoothbore Pistol Match:

1 - There are no known reproductions that qualify. (The Harper's Ferry reproduction that has been mentioned is rifled.)

2 - There are no known European single shot smoothbore pistols that were imported for use in the Civil War.

3 - There are flintlock rules in place. If anyone wants them modified there is a procedure in place to have the Rules Committee address such issues.

4 - If anyone has an unusual/oddball pistol that they want to use the burden of proof is upon the individual.

5 - The primary premise of this match is to show the use of an early war arm, and to have some fun doing so!

6 - Let's not complicate this any more than necessary!

7 - Read the rules.

JDH

Rich Foster
08-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Since there are no reproductions known and no foriegn or odd pistols are allowed unless you have burden of proof using bylaws. Then there must be a very short list of smoothbore pistols that SAC will allowed to compete that was issued during civil war. What are the Models of pistols? Others and I are interested in the new event. I agree lets keep it simple. Rich

Don Branch 12592
09-03-2013, 08:38 PM
1. Will rule 14.14.2 (prohibition of swivel ramrods) apply?

2. What distance and size of targets?

3. Will targets be 10 shot for score?

Looking forward to the challenge...

Thanks
Don

efritz
09-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Don,

I don't know if the BOD accepted my proposal as worded but I believe I can answer your specific questions.

1. Yes. Captured/swivel ramrods may not be used. Wooden ramrods with a ball on top may not be used. Get a piece of 1/2" dowel and your set.

2. 25y and 50y. You have your challenge.

3. 10 shots each on the 25y and 50y standard revolver targets.

Rules take effect March 2014.

Start practicing.

Regards
Eric Fritz
149th PVI

Don Branch 12592
09-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Thank you.

Don,

I don't know if the BOD accepted my proposal as worded but I believe I can answer your specific questions.

1. Yes. Captured/swivel ramrods may not be used. Wooden ramrods with a ball on top may not be used. Get a piece of 1/2" dowel and your set.

2. 25y and 50y. You have your challenge.

3. 10 shots each on the 25y and 50y standard revolver targets.

Rules take effect March 2014.

Start practicing.

Regards
Eric Fritz
149th PVI

Jim Leinicke 7368V
09-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Given the questions I am seeing, it would appear that the N-SSA Board has done its usual heck of a job explaining where it is going. Personally, I am clueless on the whoel thing. Clearly, the bit about swivled ramrods must be waived, as swivel rammers are all that appear on all of the pistols in use in this period!

When we are having an awful time just getting adequate skirmsih staff for the existing program, what in the world possessed these people to add yet another shooting program????? Are they daft?????

Jim Leinicke
7368V

Eggman
09-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Hmmmmm. I can see this providing more fun for the pistoleros and more participation on the revolver range, but surely not much more for the staff to do. Plus the spectators get to enjoy the great entertainment these folks will provide attempting to hit their targets.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
09-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Jim, This rule is just like all the others pertaining to swivel rods...... You have them on the gun, you just can't use them! You have to use a separate rod to push the load in.

John Holland
09-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Regarding the new Single Shot Pistol Individual Match:

Because it is an individual match only, it will not require any additional range staff.

Because of the continuing trend in declining individual entries, scoring these new individual targets will not be an added burden to the host staff.

Ramrods, please read the rules on ramrods, specifically 14.14; 14.14.1; and 14.14.2. You are not allowed to use a 1/2" dowel.

JDH
Assistant IG, NE Region