PDA

View Full Version : Shoots way high

Nikkisdad
08-28-2013, 09:06 AM
What is the most frequently used method of site adjustment for the Zouve 1863? Shoots 12"'s high at 50 yards using Lee bullet approx. 500 grain with 60 grains of FFG? I tried reducing the load to 50 grains with the same result. Also the front site is very hard to see (71 year old eyes) are there replacement sites both front and rear for this rifle available? Please fill me in with whatever info you folks may have to help me out. Thanks Manny

jonk
08-28-2013, 09:54 AM
If you're happy with how that bullet performs for grouping, you have a few options.

1. Keep reducing powder charges. Many of us are shooting as little as 35 gr of FFFG. If it groups with the lighter charge and windage is good, no problem.
2. Increase front sight height. This can be accomplished with something as simple as a bead of solder, or with a replacement sight.

Yes, you can replace sights; most members are shooting homemade peep sights, and usually wider, squarer front sights. Though this slightly changes the appearence of the gun, it helps with shooting it quite a bit.

I'm sure other members will chime in with where to get replacement sights.

ms3635v
08-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Make a new, taller front sight. This will lower the point of impact. The rule is if you lower the front sight the bullet will shoot higher. If you make a taller front sight the bullet will strike lower on the target.

iron brigade
08-28-2013, 04:18 PM
I have had to replace the front sight on all of my skirmish guns with taller ones because of the same issue. except my 1842 smoothie. join the club. grind the blade off and cut a notch into the remaining post. I use an epoxy to glue the new sight in (some use JB weld) then shoot, file, shoot, file ect. until you are on target.

kowdok
08-28-2013, 04:26 PM
I have shot several Zouaves over the years and have been able to get the impact pt. down simply by drilling a peep in the shortest blade at the very base of the blade. use as small a drill bit as possible to start with so it may be adjusted slightly for windage and elevation. I have found that 38gns. of 3F Goex gives me the best results with a Hodgdon bullet. Peep sights are very compatible with old eyes.

John S.
09-02-2013, 03:29 PM
what I did to a trapdoor front sight was to build up the sight with epoxy. I filed the epoxy down until I hit the target at 100 yards.
then I got a gunsmith to make me a front sight to match my epoxy front sight. world of difference.