PDA

View Full Version : Lube - Substitue for Crisco?

Scott Kurki, 12475
08-23-2013, 02:14 PM
I am currently using MCM lube and I am very happy with it. I would like to make my own lube but I am concerned because Crisco goes rancid (or something goes wrong over time as the lube gets sticky and gooey). I want to make something equivalent to MCM because it is very stable over time (my concern with MCM is the supply will eventually dry up). I am told that MCM uses beeswax and something that is natural but not Crisco.

norman horne, 12321
08-24-2013, 05:54 AM
I am currently using MCM lube and I am very happy with it. I would like to make my own lube but I am concerned because Crisco goes rancid (or something goes wrong over time as the lube gets sticky and gooey). I want to make something equivalent to MCM because it is very stable over time my concern with MCM is the supply will eventually dry up). I am told that MCM uses beeswax and something that is natural but not Crisco.

Hey Scott. I use a mixture of bear fat and beeswax; one to one. Render it just like you would pig fat and it makes a great, odorless lard. Mix it with the beeswax, and you have a great lube. I store mine in a climate-controlled room, and have never had problems with it going rancid. Give me a call if you have questions. Norm

iron brigade
08-24-2013, 06:04 AM
Hey Scott. I use a mixture of bear fat and beeswax; one to one. Render it just like you would pig fat and it makes a great, odorless lard. Mix it with the beeswax, and you have a great lube. I store mine in a climate-controlled room, and have never had problems with it going rancid. Give me a call if you have questions. Norm
that's what I use also. bear grease is some slippery stuff. I mix it 75% bear fat to 25% beeswax.

Bullseye54
08-24-2013, 03:40 PM
Ok, I caught a bear, the wifes holding him down as we speak.. Which end will the grease come out when I squeeze im ?? Joe

Michael T.
08-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Shake pepper in his nose.. You never heard of slicker than snot on a door nob???:p

R. McAuley 3014V
08-25-2013, 01:07 AM
Youse guys, the wee wifey has switched over to a lube called Tangerine Dream that's got to be fifty times slicker than bear grease, and a might better tasten than Crisco!

hawkeye2
08-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Could you tell us more about Tangerine Dream? My search didn't turn up anything remotely connected to skirmishing.

B-Davis
08-25-2013, 04:57 PM
I don't think you really want to know what Tangerine Dream is. Do a bit more intensive search, and you will find it is for....err...adult entertainment...disturbing.

Maillemaker
08-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Could you tell us more about Tangerine Dream? My search didn't turn up anything remotely connected to skirmishing.

LOL, that whooshing sound you heard over your head wasn't a musket ball! :) :) :)

Steve

Jim Barber
08-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Dad adds a few drops of wintergreen oil to the mix, it keeps the lube from getting too funky. When it's heated up it makes the house smell like something cooking instead of something dead. I haven't yet googled this Tangerine Dream everyone keeps talking about...

Jim B.
Grove City, OH

Ron/The Old Reb
08-27-2013, 09:10 AM
" adult entertainment " Is that what they call it now?
Wow! This country really has changed.

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
08-27-2013, 09:23 AM
I've been using bear grease & bees wax for over a decade. I usually store the grease, and the lube sticks in my basement freezer. I also keep a bottle of the mixed lube atop the freezer and haven't had problems with it spoiling. I usually use the lube sticks, but sometimes I'll just microware the bottle and just pour directly into the sizer.

I've tried SPG and MCM. I thought SPG was closer to bear grease, but still not as good. I don't know what it is about bear grease, but you can touch it, then wash your hands, and an hour later you can still feel a slippery spot on your skin where you touched it. It's slicker than snot on a doorknob!

Maillemaker
08-27-2013, 11:52 AM
I made my first batch of Crisco/Beeswax lube 2 years ago and am just finishing it up.

I store it in crisco cans (I just pour it back in) in my air-conditioned shop. Never had a problem with it going bad.

I'm not surprised - beeswax acts like a preservative and when melted and mixed with the Crisco I would not expect it to go bad.

Steve

jonk
08-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Here's an interesting tidbit: butter flavor crisco doesn't go rancid. Not that I'd eat it when it's old, but I had a tub of it for 10 years before I finished it and it never went rancid. Whatever the butter flavor is doesn't seem to impact its use as lube, either.

iron brigade
08-27-2013, 04:35 PM
I've been using bear grease & bees wax for over a decade. I usually store the grease, and the lube sticks in my basement freezer. I also keep a bottle of the mixed lube atop the freezer and haven't had problems with it spoiling. I usually use the lube sticks, but sometimes I'll just microware the bottle and just pour directly into the sizer.

I've tried SPG and MCM. I thought SPG was closer to bear grease, but still not as good. I don't know what it is about bear grease, but you can touch it, then wash your hands, and an hour later you can still feel a slippery spot on your skin where you touched it. It's slicker than snot on a doorknob!

Gary is the one who turned me on to bear grease for use as a bullet lube. thanks boss!

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
08-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Iron Brigade and I both use bear grease lube in our original Lorenz muskets.

The first team I joined back in the mid-80s had a guy who used butter flavored Crisco for lube. The team was great fun, but trying to collect stats was more like playing Liars Poker. Everytime the guy with the butter flavored Crisco shot, someone would quip something like 'Dang, I sudden got the urge for pancakes' or 'I'm hungry, lets go get some flapjacks'.

Seriously though, there are a lot better lubes out there than Crisco. I used it the first years I started shooting. It may not turn rancid, but when it gets old and dries, it doesn't lube well and I think is more suseptable to cook offs. If I didn't have bear grease, I'd be using SPG.