PDA

View Full Version : Parker Hale Enfield Musketoon restoration questions

Smosin
08-20-2013, 10:57 AM
I recently acquired a PH 1861 Enfield Musketoon that the previous owner altered for hunting. The rear sight was replaced with T/C type windage adjustable open sight, and the front sight with some kind of (soldered in place) beaded blade. Also, sadly, the bayonet lug was removed. The original stock, barrel bands, and rod have not been altered. The exterior metal, wood, lock and bore are in excellent shape overall, maybe 95%. This is a totally English made musketoon.
Oddly enough, even with the hunting sights, the carbine does not shoot to point of aim with any load, minie or round ball, printing very very high, maybe 12-18" high all the time. Perhaps this is why it's in such good shape, as it was not probably used much if at all.
I just want to shoot this thing for fun, so am considering only replacing the front sight with a new taller sight. But, would it be worthwhile to restore this to near original condition? The seller no longer had the original parts. I see that replacement rear sights might be available, but what about the bayonet lug? Will the value of the carbine be so much less without the bayonet lug as to not be worth the costs of replacing the rear sight?
Thoughts?
Thanks

Bruce Cobb 1723V
08-20-2013, 11:49 AM
You are going in the wrong direction with the sights. You need to bring up your REAR sight by a bunch to get that bullet higher. A taller front sight will just make things worse.

Rebel Dave
08-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Sight rules ....... #1. move your rear sight in the direction you want the projectile to go, meaning, if you want the projectile to move to the right on your target, move the rear sight to the right.

#2. move the front sight in the opposite direction you want the projectile to go, meaning, if your projectile is hitting low, you would shorten the front sight, This will bring the point of impact up. If it is hitting to the right, and you want to move it to the left, you would move the front sight to the right.

If you want to put original sights back on it , check out Lodgewood MFG, or S & S Firearms they will be able to help you out.

That musketoon will probably shoot pretty good, with a charge of 40-55 grns of 3F blk powder. Find out the bore size, with sizeing pins, and shoot a minnie bullet, of pure soft lead, .001 to .002 under the bore size, use good lube like MCM lube, or SPG lube. The lube must be compatable with black powder, if that's what you will be using. These are good little guns for hunting also.

Just think... If you can get a musket, then you are on your way to being an N-SSA member.

Rebel Dave

Smosin
08-20-2013, 12:24 PM
You are going in the wrong direction with the sights. You need to bring up your REAR sight by a bunch to get that bullet higher. A taller front sight will just make things worse.

Oops, sorry! I've corrected the original post( I need to proofread). The carbine is shooting 12-18" too high, NOT too low. I've used tape to add ht to the front sight to enable reaching the black, which works to an extent-- looks like I need about 1/4inch taller front sight, and the rear sight is bottomed out.

The question still remains, is it worth restoring to original condition?

I own two other rifle muskets, an 1862 marked Richmond repro with a Bill Large barrel, and one of the new Pedersoli 3 band Enfields; both shoot very well with minies and even round balls.

Thanks

Ron/The Old Reb
08-20-2013, 03:55 PM
If it's a Parker Hale and is 95% as you say it is I would restore it. I wouldn't throw it on the scrap heap. It may not have ever had a bayonet lug on it. Depends when it was made. If my memory serves me right during the assault weapons band they made muskets without the bayonet lug because the government considered them assault weapons. The baronet lug is useless anyway.

Hickok
08-20-2013, 04:13 PM
If I had that Enfield, I would definately put her back in "as issue" condition.

As for shooting high, maybe the backyard gunsmith who altered the sights didn't know anything about figuring correct front and rear sight height. With issue sights, the rifle may be closer a bit closer to point of aim, say 5 or 6 inches high at 50 yards. Could be an easy fix, and make you a fine rifle.

I agree with Ron, the bayonet lug is worthless. One thing a bayonet is good for is bending or ruining a barrel when someone gets the bright idea to use the rifle and bayonet as a pry bar. But bayonets do make good candle holders around camp!

Jim Mayo
08-20-2013, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't worry about the bayonet lug. I own an original P56 and a P58 Naval rifle and both have had the lugs broken off a long time ago. About half of the original short rifles and carbines I have looked at have the lug broken off. I think the soldiers broke them so they wouldn't have to carry the bayonet.

Mike Stein
08-20-2013, 10:01 PM
Bayonet lug seems to only be important if you are going to practice 'Stack Arms'. Lot's folks will reattach it if needed or required. Lack of one would not be a show stopper for me.

Chris Sweeney
08-21-2013, 10:21 AM
. . . on whether you're going to keep it forever or sell it at some point in the future. If you do plan on selling it, and you try to sell it to a skirmisher then the bayonet lug is mandatory

Smosin
08-21-2013, 11:00 AM
. . . on whether you're going to keep it forever or sell it at some point in the future. If you do plan on selling it, and you try to sell it to a skirmisher then the bayonet lug is mandatory

That was my line of thinking, too, but where oh where would I ever find a replacement bayonet lug? It looks like the original was pinned to the barrel; the holes were filled.

Rebel Dave
08-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Call Dave @ Lodgewood MFG 1-262-473-5444 They can probably help you out, on the lug and sights. The lug can be silver soldered on, with no problem, along with the correct sights.

Rebel Dave

Smosin
01-27-2014, 11:06 AM
I'm now in the process of restoring this musketoon, and have purchased a replacement machined rear sight, a new tall dovetailed front sight, and a replica bayonet lug.
I need some measurements if anyone is so inclined--what is the distance from the muzzle to the rear of the bayonet lug? And from the muzzle to to the front sight?
The previous owner removed all of these, and replaced the sight with T/C style streamlined blade thing.

The purchase price of the musketoon was cheap enough to justify this restoration work.
Thanks!