PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Around Plugs

hobbler
08-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Recently did a little experimenting with swapping around plugs in minie molds, the 575213OS and the 577611. They have different diameters, lengths and angles on the conical sections that form the hollow base cavities while the straight cylindrical portions fit from mold to mold.
So, thought to ask, does anyone mix and match various molds to change the design and see which one works best for them?

Jim_Burgess_2078V
08-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Back in the days when I was shooting a Zouave Rifle, I had the base plug from a Lyman new style minie (575213) modified so it would fit my Lyman old style (575213OS) mould. It was just a matter of cutting a new groove for the retaining ring. It resulted in a 400 grain old style bullet with a much thinner base skirt that shot remarkably well in the Zouave.
Jim Burgess, 15th Conn. Vol. Inf.

thirdwinchester
08-15-2013, 08:53 PM
I really liked the base plug in my rapine mold but it started having problems. So i bought the old style Lyman Minnie and saw that it cast a bullet with a thicker skirt. Had a teammate make a new base plug with the thinner skirt and elongated the last ring. i only shoot 25 grains of goex 3f at fifty yards in an original three bander and it never keyholes. In fact i think it shoots quite well. It was worth the time to experiment. Good luck!

Jack C., 69th NY
08-16-2013, 08:41 AM
John DeWald of Northeast Trades sells a larger replacement plug for RCBS Hogdon minie molds. Being larger diameter and longer, the cavity is enlarged and lengthened, reducing the weight of the minie. Perhaps requiring a smaller powder charge? Other than that, I know nothing about them. Can any skirmisher who uses this plug comment on them and give some sort of a review. I do not know if they are available in different sizes.

Dheisey#7003
09-02-2013, 07:51 AM
I had a new base plug made for my Lyman 577611, it decreased the skirt thickness and shoots well in all my muskets.

Rick Ramey
09-20-2013, 05:12 PM
I Bought one of the RCBS modified plugs from John DeWalt several years ago. After trying it over 42gr of Goex, it really shot well. It is the only mini I use. Works very well in all my muskets. I use my homemade lube. ie 50% bees wax and 50% olive oil. hope this helps.