PDA

View Full Version : New to the Sharps

David Sulewski
08-06-2013, 06:33 PM
I am a past member of the N-SSA, experienced with blackpowder firearms, muskets and revolvers but new to the Sharps. I have a Pendersoli and I am using a Moose .544-480 bullet.
My question concerns Hahn tubes. The tubes are slightly smaller in diameter than the chamber resulting in some dead air space. Is this an acceptable condition or is it cause for concern? I know that hundreds of shooters use these tubes so I am assuming that it must not cause any problems with pressure spikes but I would like to get some comments and opinions from shooters with more experience than I have.

gemmer
08-06-2013, 06:54 PM
I am a past member of the N-SSA, experienced with blackpowder firearms, muskets and revolvers but new to the Sharps. I have aPendersoli and I am using a Moose .544-480 bullet.
My question concerns Hahn tubes. The tubes are slightly smaller in diameterthan the chamber resulting in some dead air space. Is this an acceptablecondition or is it cause for concern? I know that hundreds of shooters usethese tubes so I am assuming that it must not cause any problems with pressurespikes but I would like to get some comments and opinions from shooters withmore experience than I have.

No problem at all. You can find testimony from many users of Charlie's tubes on this site and the Shiloh site
expressing their approval. I shoot a .54 Pedersoli Sporter. If your chamber length is the same as mine, you'll probably want the 1.375" tube, which is what I use with the Moose .544.

Duane

jonk
08-06-2013, 06:57 PM
I shoot a Pedersoli sharps carbine myself. I've not used Charlie's tubes, but on my hand rolled ones and the Hahn tubes my teammates use, there is a little air space.

I don't see it as an issue, and have never had one myself. I think that the problem with BP and air space comes when there is space between the bullet and powder charge as it can cause a double flame front and a blow up.

David Sulewski
08-06-2013, 07:43 PM
That,s what is so confusing, so many shooters using these tubes with great success and yet you read so many post's warning about the dreaded "air space". I can certainly understand the concern in a muzzle loader or a revolver but the Sharps chamber apparently is a whole different set up.
Thank you for your comments

Charlie Hahn
08-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Regarding air space,

Look at the chamber size and shape of an unaltered Sharps, The chamber diameter is .61 to .62. If you could fill the chamber when you close the breech you still have the pocket in the block. It is all but impossible to have a full chamber. The airspace in a closed fixed cartridge system is a disaster and is documneted. The Sharps is not a closed system. As long as the bullet is in the forcing cone, and not half way down the barrel the chamber is designed to deal with the small airspace we have.

During the development of the tubes I use I tested several combinations. Loose powder and ball, I estimate this as a 25% chamber fill, Compact cartridge where the assembled cartridge was as much a half and inch short, Barrel with three unburned tubes in bore, loose and tight breeches, and grossly over sized bullets. Also with different powder granulations for each of these. Although the down range results of some combinations was no so good, gun function was good. No damage was noticed.

I still shoot the gun I used for these tests.

From my limited experience on this, with the charges we use, (LESS THAN 50 GRAINS) this is not an issue with the percussion Sharps.

Charlie

j.howardcycles
08-07-2013, 09:38 AM
I use charlie`s 7/8" tubes in a starr carbine . It also has air space and it shoots great ! The starr and sharps firearms are designed for this air space . So don`t get to concerned about it. ;)

David Sulewski
08-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Well sir, that answers my concerns about the Sharps chamber and the small amount of air space. The tubes are great!! I can get an accurate volume of powder from shot to shot.