PDA

View Full Version : Stocks from the "Rifle Shoppe"

GPM
08-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Anyone have first hand experience with them? I've made several muskets with Dunlap stocks and would like to know how they compare.

Yancey von Yeast, 8073
08-04-2013, 08:34 PM
I can not attest to the Rifle Shoppe's Civil War arms. I have worked with a great many of their 18th century military stocks. I have always found that their quality of walnut far surpasses other sources. Their 18th century stocks are not as far finished as Dunlap stocks. I always chuckle to myself that Dunlaps stocks are finished as far as the old CVA kit rifles of the 70's and 80's. I hope that helps. I can not stress enough the quality of Rifle Shoppe walnut.

Thanks!
Yancey

ms3635v
08-05-2013, 07:18 AM
GPM, I have several friends who have used the Rifle Shoppe for parts and on one occasion a stock. If you read their website, they carefully explain their production of parts and the time that it takes. One of my friends was restoring a Starr carbine to display with the remainder of his collections and needed two parts. Because the parts were not available for immediate shipment, he had to wait about 8 to 10 weeks. When he received the parts, the casting was well-done and only needed minor fitting and just the barest amount of polishing. The parts did not require any fitting and, when finished, looked great. His advice to anyone ordering from the Rifle Shoppe should be to remain patient and the wait will be well worth it. Another friend purchased a Springfield stock in one of their fancier grades. The stock, when finished, looked really great...so, what I have seen of their products is good and worth the wait.

Ron/The Old Reb
08-05-2013, 07:58 AM
I have not gotten any stocks but I have gotten lock parts from the Rifle Shoppie. They are very nice castings put need to be polished and harden. My only complaint with them is trying to place an order. There are times I have called to place an order and they pick up the phone right away and other times I have called several times a day for a week before they would answer the phone. They should have their web site so you can place an order on it.

GPM
08-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Well I feel a little better. I've used an assortment of small parts from TRS in the past and agree they are top quality. Several years ago I tried a stock from someone other than Dunlap and that turned into a bad experience.
When it arrives I'll post a few comments for comparison.
Thanks for the input guys

GPM
08-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Ron I've had the same experience ordering. I gave up e-mail, though they have always replied (one time 4 months later).
I talked with them on the phone and they make their own stocks in house as they are ordered, unlike castings that are sent to a foundry after enough parts are ordered.
They have always been pleasant to deal with and parts on hand I've received within a week.